Masks set to remain compulsory on the Metro after Freedom Day

Tyne and Wear Metro have announced that makes will continue to be mandatory unless medically exempt

Ppeople using the Metro will continue to be required to wear masks, unless medically exempt, even after so-called “Freedom Day” on July 19th.

Tyne and Wear Metro said: “Wearing a face covering throughout your journey, on stations and trains, is a Condition of Carriage and customers may be refused travel if they do not.”

They have also announced that masks must be continued to be worn on buses, in the interchanges or on the South Shields Ferry.

This follows the news that South Tyneside currently has the highest case rate in England. Furthermore, that North Jesmond has the third-highest case rate in student areas, with a rate of 1312 cases per 100,000 people.

Huw Lewis, Customer Services Director at Nexus, said: “We have made wearing face coverings part of Metro’s Conditions of Carriage unless you are exempt, and we will use that as a base to encourage people to do so in busy spaces.

“Encouraging people to do the right thing is as important as enforcement powers in keeping everyone safe, and we are joining the much larger North East England campaign with health chiefs, local councils and businesses to promote positive behaviour.

“We want there to be a single clear message about what customers should do on public transport, whether it be Metro or bus or Ferry in North East England. Local authority leaders have contacted the Government to ask for clear and consistent powers across the industry which we will support if they are brought in.”

People who are medically exempt do not have to wear masks. This includes people who cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability.

Masks will also remain mandatory on London transport, following a decision made by Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, following the recent rise in Covid cases.

“Freedom Day”, which is taking place next week, will see the relaxation of many Covid rules. Nightclubs will reopen, you’ll be able to order drinks at the bar and live events with an unlimited amount of people can take place.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.