Newcastle University student takes home £5,000 prize from ITV gameshow The 1% Club

22-year-old Maisie McClure didn’t use her ‘pass’ card until the 13th question

A Newcastle University student has won £5,000 on ITV gameshow The 1% Club.

22-year-old Maisie McClure answered 13 questions before finally using her “pass” card on the second to last question.

Despite being offered to gamble for the £96k prize, Maisie and the other contestant, Alex, decided to split the £10,000 winnings, Shropshire Star reports.

Originally from Albrighton, Maisie had intended on applying to the show alongside her mum, but decided to continue with her application after her mum changed her mind.

After being invited for an audition, the biomedical sciences student explained that she hadn’t expected to get any further, but was then invited to Manchester for filming last November.

Contestants on the show are asked questions that “only one per cent” of the UK public have answered correctly, with players given the chance to win an ultimate prize of £100,000.

The question Maisie chose to pass was based on a nursery rhyme and involved jumbled up letters in a grid and the challenge to find “the missing animal”.

Maisie explained: “As soon as I passed the question I knew the answer – it was annoying”.

When faced with the option to split the money or go for the jackpot, Maisie said there was “no clear thought” going through her head at the time.

“Me and the other contestant, Alex, decided to split the £10,000. We were asked if we wanted to gamble it for the £96k prize, but it’s a lot of money to risk losing.

She continued: “You don’t know what question you’re going to get asked, so it wasn’t worth the risk for me. I already got that far and was happy with that.”

On being on the show with comedian and quiz show host, Lee Mack, Maisie said that he made her feel “comfortable and reassured”.

She said: “He was really nice, especially at the end before we decided to split the money, he came up to me and the other contestant individually and said congratulations, that it is a lot of money, and that we have done really well. He was down to earth and made us feel comfortable.”

Maisie explained that winning the amount was “surreal” and that whilst the experience was unique, she’s not sure whether she’d apply to game shows in the future due to nerves getting in the way.

She said: “I’m a very stressy person and my heart rate was through the roof on the day. If the opportunity comes up again I probably won’t say no.”

On what she’ll be doing with her prize money, Maisie said she hopes to buy a car but will make sure it won’t  “all be spent at once”.

“It was a surreal feeling to win that money – realistically I will save a decent amount of it and maybe buy a car in the summer. I definitely won’t be spending it all at once!