Time to paint the Toon green: All the St Paddy’s day events happening this weekend

Ignore that dissertation deadline and get a baby Guinness down you

St Patrick’s Day is one of my favourite celebrations since coming to uni, and with the huge population of Irish students here in the Toon, both Newcastle and Northumbria truly do it justice.

But, if like me, you have a tendency to leave everything to the last minute – hence the timing of this article – fear not, as we have compiled the best events happening this weekend that you can still bag yourself entry for. 

1. Paddy’s Fest, Times Square

Back for another year in Times Square, Paddy’s Fest 2024 promises to be a weekend of Shamrock (and Guinness) fuelled fun. 

Tomorrow, Saturday 16th March from 12pm until 11pm, rugby fans and sports lovers alike can enjoy a live screening of the final day of the Six Nations, which will be showcased on two huge screens. Between matches, there will be plenty to keep you entertained; expect live bands, Irish dancing and stage games with a bounty of prizes to be won.

For the main event, on Sunday Paddy’s Fest brings you Paddy’s Day Bonanza. This will be an 11 hour (!) celebration with a packed schedule: Think live bands, DJs, bingo, darts, giveaways, and even a rodeo bull! 

Paddy’s Fest boasts cheap drinks and fast service, as we’re all too familiar with the chaos in the pubs on our beloved Osborne Road. 

If you’re still going strong by the evening, don’t miss the official after party hosted by the newly relaunched Oops at Grey’s club.

2. Paddy’s Month at The Dubliner

If you’re yet to visit The Dubliner which opened on the Quayside last summer, what better time to go than this weekend?  

To mark it’s first St Patrick’s Day in the Toon, The Dubliner has decided to celebrate with a bang, holding events over the entire month. In fact, by the end of March, it will have hosted 127 live gigs!

Bringing the atmosphere of Dublin’s iconic Temple Bar to Newcastle, the venue is typically open everyday from 12pm, with live music each evening. However, this weekend there will be live gigs from open until close. 

Entry is free and there’s no need to get a ticket – just ensure you get down early as the venue is extremely popular.

3. Bongo’s Bingo, St Patrick’s Special

Student favourite Bongo’s Bingo is returning for another St Patrick’s Day Special at the Boiler Shop.

Be prepared to channel your inner competitive spirit to be in with a chance of winning its infamous prizes – all while dancing along to a soundtrack of legendary Irish artists, from B*Witched to The Cranberries. 

Perfect for those who are suckers for cheesy singalongs (and for those who insist they aren’t).

Final release tickets are still available here.

4. St Paddy’s Big Weekend at Katie O’Briens Irish Tavern

Katie O’Brien’s on Collingwood Street is another new addition to the Toon, following on the success of their Durham venue. 

Inside, you’ll find a cosy atmosphere with Irish themed decor, live music and plenty of screens to watch the Six Nations Final on.

Katie O’Brien’s is also running a competition over on Instagram to win a keg of Guinness – that’s 88 pints! Certainly enough to get you Irish jigging all the way home.