Northumbria University hosting first ever fashion show in support for Young Minds Charity

The student-led event is taking place at Northumbria SU on the 22nd April

Northumbria University is hosting its first ever charity fashion show, which is set to take place on the 22nd April 2024.

All of the event funds will be donated to the Young Minds Charity who often support students with mental health issues throughout their time at university.

Organised by the Fashion Show Society, the student-led event will take place in the Northumbria Student Union. It has provided opportunities for students interested in fashion, videography, music, photography, lighting, hair and makeup to get some hands-on experience.

The event plans to have a photo booth, raffle, and bar featuring Groovement.uk DJ Ross Clough and there will also be a raffle which provides students with a chance to win prizes donated from The Holy Hobo, Soho Jesmond (Osbournes) and more.

The Newcastle Tab spoke to Northumbria student, Emily Sutton, age 20, who expressed her excitement for the event. She said: “We’re hoping to raise lots of money for worthy charity.”

The Fashion Show Society announced that 100 per cent of the earnings from the show will go to the charity Young Minds, a non-profit organisation based in London and is the UK’s leading charity.

With a mission “to make sure all young people get the mental health support they need”, the charity aims to help prevent emerging mental health conditions from becoming more serious.

The theme is black tie, audiences are expected to dress in high fashion in line with the event.

Models will be wearing a variety of other themes such as black tie, ski season and swimwear. All 35 of these student volunteers will wear pieces that have been especially donated, and feature a range of different brands like Barbour, Budgy Smuggler, Bens Buckets, Tied By Tide and more.

Emily explained how she was inspired by seeing other universities have similar events which had proven very popular. She said: “I had seen universities like St Andrews and Durham do fashion shows for their students in the past”.

The Durham University Charity Fashion Show (DUCFS) raised just under a million pounds in the events spanning over the last five years.

At the University of St Andrews, they hosted their charity fashion show at the St Andrews Bay Hotel in 2002. It was called “The Art of Seduction”, and featured a young Kate Middleton on the catwalk.

The society’s secretary, Katie, said that the event is already gathering popularity: “Northumbria’s event is giving people the chance to have their Kate Middleton moment!”

The tickets for the event are available on the Northumbrian Student Union Website, with more details surrounding the event.