Greggs to sponsor Newcastle graduations and students get a sausage roll with certificate

Students will be handed the sausage roll along with their certificates on the graduation stage

Newcastle University has announced that all 2024 graduations will be sponsored by Greggs with all graduates receiving one of their signature sausage rolls along with their certificates.

In an email sent to all students set to graduate this year, the university outlined how the partnership was decided after consultation with current undergraduates on their favourite thing about the city.

The email explained how the sponsorship will serve as an appreciation for students’ hard work after many students struggled last year at the detriment of marking boycotts and lecture strikes, which gave many students uncertainties about their final grades.

As a celebration of such hard work, the university’s partnership with Greggs aims to show their appreciation for students’ hard work while celebrating the city’s culture with a staple dish.

Graduating students will be handed both a sausage roll and their certificate while on stage, with vegan options available to those with dietary requirements.

The sponsorship has also been implemented due to Greggs’ integral part of the student experience in Newcastle, one which graduates may be miss once they return home or endeavour for graduate jobs.

Explaining how Greggs has been a visceral part of prospecting graduates’ university experiences, the email read: “We wanted to express our gratitude for your perseverance and determination by offering this small gesture of appreciation. The partnership with Greggs not only acknowledges your hard work but also celebrates the vibrant culture of our city with one of its staple dishes.

“Whether you prefer the classic taste of a traditional Sausage Roll or opt for the vegan option, both will be available for you to enjoy as you celebrate your achievements with friends, family, and fellow graduates.”

April, a third year law student at Newcastle University, said that while she’s excited to receive her sausage roll, she wished that she had been offered a Steak Bake: “I’m buzzing about the free sausage roll but I wish they’d gone the whole hog and sorted us out with Steak Bakes. But I’m not complaining, wey aye”.

You should probably check the date, you April fools!