Fundraiser created in memory of Newcastle student who died from rare heart condition

Mornel ‘Nelly’ Westfield died a week before beginning his second year at Newcastle University

A fundraiser has been created in memory of Mornel “Nelly” Westfield, a Newcastle University student who passed away suddenly at the end of last year. 

Mornel had just started his second year of university when he died from a rare heart condition called Arrhythmogenic Cardiomyopathy (ACM). Like many others with ACM, Mornel was unaware of his heart condition, which often presents with no noticeable symptoms.

Eight of Mornel’s friends have since created a Just Giving page in order to raise money for British Heart Foundation alongside running a Colour Obstacle Rush in June this year.

Mornel’s friends decided to fundraise for the British Heart Foundation in “a light-hearted way”. They explained: “We wanted to raise money in a way that reflected Nelly’s fun and bright personality, so thought the colour run was a great idea.”

Reflecting on their friendship, Mornel’s friends described him as “incredible”. They said: “He had such an infectious smile. He was constantly laughing and joking and there was never a dull moment with him.”

Originally from County Durham, Mornel was due to begin his second year of journalism, media and culture at Newcastle University. He was described as an “articulate, inquisitive and ever-learning” journalist.

The donation target created by Mornel’s friends has already been more than doubled, with over £2,000 being raised for the British Heart Foundation.

Mornel’s friends hope this money will help the charity to raise awareness of and support further research into his condition. They added: “We’re so grateful for the amount we’ve raised and all those who’ve donated. Hopefully, we can continue to smash the target and keep his memory alive.”

The link to the Just Giving fundraiser can be found here.