How to make the most out of your final semester at Newcastle University

There is more to life than your diss and the Philly Rob

As the end of our final semester is quickly approaching, now is the perfect time to make sure you have made the most of all the toon has to offer. If you’re wondering what to do with yourself on the weekends after spending far too many hours in the library during the week, here are some recommendations on how to make sure you leave Newcastle with absolutely no regrets.

Try all the best food spots

It’s no secret that Jesmond has some of the best restaurants and cutest cafes around. If your Jesmond years haven’t consisted of hungover Sunday brunches at Cafe 1901, and far too much time waiting in line for Francesca’s then you’re really missing out. It isn’t too late though, from Brack Burgers to ramen at Nori make sure you take the chance to swap your bar crawl for a tour through some of the finest dining Jesmond has to offer. And if you would like to skip the formalities of eating in, or your friends just can’t decide on a cuisine, you can head over to Jesmond Food Market and try them all at once.

Make the most of the coast

How often is it that students get to live so close to the coast as homely and picturesque as Tynemouth? From chilly coastal walks to cosy hot chocolates at Crusoe’s Cafe, Tynemouth really does have it all. If you’re feeling brave you could even try your hand at a cool North Sea dip (don’t forget your Dry Robe). Make sure you appreciate it before your local coast returns to being the likes of Blackpool or Skeggy 

Spend a final summer in Ouseburn

As we head towards lighter and warmer evenings, evenings in Ouseburn become a must. You can begin with a cold pint at The Ship Inn, visiting the farm animals at Ouseburn Farm, before taking a wander down the canal, maybe stopping at Di Meo’s Riverside for ice cream. If you’re feeling adventurous you could follow the canal down to the quayside. 

Don’t skip sports night

Maybe being a final year student is too old to be nursing a Thursday hangover, and with diss deadlines looming we don’t have a day to waste. However, a Wednesday night necking trebs in Soho is arguably as important as a dissertation (especially if you include the team bonding value), and with a limited number of weeks left, we must make the most of these feral nights before they’re gone forever. Anyway, now is the perfect time to make questionable sports night decisions when soon you won’t have to worry about bumping into that questionable 2/10 from Wednesday night on campus.  

Attend lectures and seminars

Now this one might seem like a boring one but hear me out! As much as we are all fed up with early mornings and half empty seminars, it won’t be long before we actually miss these relaxed schedules as we enter the world of 9-5. Plus, these classes give us a break from our dissertations and mean we can make the most out of our final semester socialising with our course mates. As a reward for your attendance, you can head down to the Co-op for a sweet treat afterwards…