Breaking News

Northumbria’s Vice-Chancellor has announced his retirement

He’s led the university for 13 years

Following an email sent to Northumbria students this morning, Andrew Wathey will be retiring from his position as Vice-Chancellor and Chief Executive of Northumbria Uni on May 1st 2022.

Wathey became Vice-Chancellor in 2008, leading the University for 13 years before his retirement.

The email reads: “My warmest thanks and gratitude go to the many brilliant and committed members of the Northumbria community – staff and students alike – for their extraordinary efforts, and to the University’s partners for their energy and collaboration”.

The Board of Governors will appoint the next Vice-Chancellor of Northumbria Uni. The process will begin soon and will be led by the Chair of the Board and Pro-Chancellor, Dr Roberta Blackman-Woods.

Under Wathey’s leadership, Northumbria University has celebrated many successes. For example, the University has moved from 80th to 50th in research power rankings. Also, the university now ranks 34th in England for student entry standards. The university even overtook Newcastle University in one league table this year.

Also, in 2013, Wathey was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher Education for outstanding community and pro-bono work of their student law Office. In 2014, the University became the first in Europe to achieve double accreditation in Business and Accounting from the Association to Advanced Collegiate Business Schools, meaning its Business School is currently in the world’s top 1%.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Similar stories recommended by this writer:

We tried Davey’s, Sandyford’s newest sandwich hotspot

• Five ways that you can still celebrate Pride in Newcastle

• Jesmond resident who poured disinfectant on urinating men praised in ASB Facebook group