The nine best places in Newcastle for graduation dinner

Did you even graduate if you didn’t post pics of your celebratory meal?

Graduation day is never complete without celebratory food and cocktails. After all, you’ve worked so hard at your degree, you deserve a treat.

However, we absolutely understand that choosing where to go is almost as stressful as that last week of your dissertation and, if you left it to the week before to decide where to get food, we can guarantee you’re stuck on where to go.

So, we’ve put together a list of our favourite places that would defo fit the occasion, no matter what kind of graduation celebration you’ve got in mind. Oh, and they’re all Instagrammable of course.

Blackfriars

A hidden gem of Newcastle that needs more recognition. Their food is top tier and it will be an experience to remember. We’re sorry but food doesn’t get much prettier than this. Run, don’t walk, to Blackfriars and treat yourself to a boujee lunch, you deserve it.

Las Iguanas

If you’re looking for a dinner that’s a little bit less fancy, then there’s no doubt that Las Iguanas should be your go-to. With easy but tasty meals, there’s something for everyone with no fuss.

If that’s not sealed the deal, they have two for one on all cocktails all day every day, so the celebrations can be huge and not too spenny. What more could you ask for?

Chaophraya

Nowhere can compete with the views of the city from their rooftop terrace. Not only is the location very Instagrammable, so is the food, which is to die for, and very reasonably priced.

A Newcastle gem that you need to show your whole family. Plus you can turn up in full glam and no one will think you’re overdressed, and if you’re not dressed to the nines for grad, you’re doing it wrong, sorry.

Botanist

Arguably, the obvious choice for a graduation celebration, but obvious for a reason. The restaurant is very aesthetic, and the hanging kebabs make for a great pic without a hefty price tag. The menu is nice and simple, but that doesn’t mean the food isn’t insane.

Also, they offer packages where you can buy discounted drinks which will be on your table when you arrive. Win-win really.

Horticulture

Horticulture is always a go-to for fancy meals and graduation is no exception to this. Visit Horticulture for a guaranteed good meal, aesthetic pics and a chill vibe without a crippling price tag. They’ve got plenty of options for everyone too and a huge espresso martini menu so you can’t go wrong.

Cog and Wheel

We’re sure you’ve seen your fellow Newcastle students here for Bottomless Brunch recently, and it’s easy to see why. The atmosphere is always spot on, and no one can compete when it comes to cocktails.
Plus, it’s near the city centre and Jesmond too, so not too far to walk if you’re lucky enough to still be living in Newcastle.

Ernest

Ernest is a great shout if you’re looking for something a bit more quirky, but still affordable. We defo recommend the sharing platters, because the food is so good you’ll want to try everything on the menu. It isn’t overly fancy which is perfect if you want a more lowkey day, and as it’s right near the Ouseburn pubs it’s a great excuse for a pint after.

Biscuit Factory

If you’re more feeling a brunch vibe, The Biscuit Factory is defo the one. It’s a fair trek from the centre, but it’s worth the walk for the aesthetic terrace and conservatory. Plus, they have a student deal and you may as well use these privileges while they last.

Six

Six is defo an occasion only venue as it’s a bit more on the pricey side but it’s well worth it for graduation. With the gorgeous views of the Quayside and the river, Six feels like a film set. We cannot get over this restaurant and you can’t leave Newcastle without trying it at least once, so this is the perfect excuse.

Côte Brasserie

French food oozes fancy, and the location couldn’t be much better. You can find Côte by monument, so not too far to walk from campus, but far enough you can parade your outfit for everyone to see. The menu is huge and the food is gorgeous, with so many options, there really isn’t any reason not to choose Côte.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.