We tried Davey’s, Sandyford’s newest sandwich hotspot

Davey’s Breakfast and Sandwiches are known for their instagram-able dishes

If there’s anything Newcastle student’s love other than flares and mullets, it’s a good hungover breakfast. Enter Davey’s Breakfast and Sandwiches, Sandyford’s newest place to be for students in search of affordable yet delicious breakfasts and lunches.

Opened in early 2020 by Gateshead’s own David Milburn, they’re famous for their innovative and ‘instagram-able’ specials, such as their ‘Mozzarella Fried Chicken Burger’ and boast a large menu of mouth-watering meals, including burgers, loaded fries, sandwiches, and huge share boxes such as the ‘Daveys Signature Sharebox’. This consists of 1x original Daveys Burger, 1x Bacon Double Cheeseburger, x8 Mozzarella Dunkers, Sticky Korean Chicken, Bacon Cheese Fries, and homemade slaw – lush. They even serve cereal infused breakfast milkshakes, with flavours ranging from Frosties to Coco Pops.

Davey’s Breakfasts and Sandwiches previously operated with a sole venue in Low Fell, Gateshead, however this all changed on Wednesday at 8am when the doors to their brand new Sandyford store opened. The vendor has thrived throughout the coronavirus pandemic and due to a huge surge in popularity has now split the staff into two venues and taken the leap across the Tyne – we just had to try it for ourselves.

We opted for their bestselling ‘Breakfast Stack’ and freshly squeezed orange juice – two sausage patties, cheese, hash brown, bacon, fried egg and signature Davey’s sauce. We’ll be honest – it was unreal. Totally worth the hype and sort of like a McMuffin but ten times better, this sandwich was filling and tasty, the perfect start to a morning. It will most definitely be our new cure after a night of too many trebs from now on and would be enough to get us out of bed any day of the week.

If you fancy trying it for yourselves, the Sandyford store is based right in the heart of the student community, at the bottom of Helmsley Road and is open from morning until nine pm, offering breakfasts, lunches and dinners. They even offer vegetarian options, so there’s no need to worry about being catered to. The store is hard to miss, with their yellow and black aesthetic lighting up Sandyford and bringing life to the area.

Photos sourced from Davey’s official Instagram.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Similar stories recommended by this writer:

Five ways that you can still celebrate Pride in Newcastle

• Jesmond resident who poured disinfectant on urinating men praised in ASB Facebook group

The new Jesmond coffee van offering you a mental health boost and maybe even a free drink