Survey places Newcastle as the seventh best city for drinking in the UK

I reckon we only missed it to the podium because we were half cut

If there were ever to be a drinking Olympics, then the citizens of Newcastle would win it. We’re just built different up here, with “singles” not being part of our vocabulary and drinking being just another way of coping with the crap weather.

So here to confirm what we knew to be already true, a new survey by Get Licensed has determined Newcastle to be the seventh best city in the UK for drinking.

The scores were based on five key factors: population, bars and clubs per 100,000 people, pubs per 100,000 people, beer price (for a pint) and overall drinking score out of 10.

Newcastle has a population of 281,843, with 43.29 bars and clubs per 100,000 people and 143.70 pubs per 100,000 people, with a pint of beer costing an average of £3.50 and an overall night out drinking score of 5.74 out of 10.

View the full leaderboard here.

I personally think seventh is a bit poor based on the Toon’s extensive night out scene and reputation, proven to be legendary by the amount of stag and hen dos I have to fight my way through in the train station on a Friday and Saturday. What’s more, the results placed Blackpool as the UK’s best drinking city, seriously questioning our faith in this study – so make of that what you will.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.