Newcastle rated the 13th safest night out in the UK in new survey

I don’t think I’ve ever met a sour Geordie

Get Licensed have conducted a number of surveys on UK towns and cities to decipher where in the UK offers the best nightlife experience – and safety is one of the important surveys they completed.

It’s really important that cities are safe for everyone, including students, as learning to navigate a new city when away from home for the first time can be daunting as it is.

Newcastle placed 13th against 49 other cities, based on six indicators: population, Numbeo safety index score, worries of being mugged or robbed, worries of being a victim of a violent hate crime, safety walking alone at night and an overall night out safety score which was measured out of 10.

The city scored a Numbeo safety index of 60.70, 31.79 out of 100 in worries of being mugged, 22.73 out of 100 in worries of being a victim of violent hate crime and 50.39 out of 100 in safety of walking alone at night, totalling the overall night out safety score of the Toon as 6.94 out of 10.

Find the complete rankings here.

While the majority of drinking venues have ample staff and door supervisors with appropriate training and many venues having improved their security since the spiking epidemic little over a year ago, there’s still a lot to be done to make Newcastle a safe city for everyone. But progress is progress and we’re glad to see the Toon becoming a safer place for everyone.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.