The Metro pub crawl: eight best pubs to visit on the Metro line

Hats off to you if you make it to the coast and back in one piece

Pub crawls have become synonymous with uni students and can somewhat act as a right of passage for many; from the Otley Run in Leeds to the Monopoly Crawl in London, they offer variation and a non-stop party; but all are inferior against the Newcastle Metro pub crawl.

In essence, our pub crawl entails visiting multiple bars and pubs in a singular session, an easy task for a student in Newcastle, and range in distance between each point of interest.

Luckily for us we have the Tyne and Wear Metro right on our doorsteps, making that half cut slog from pub to pub an absolute dream. The nature of the Metro allows this particular route to be circular, so you can select the starting point best for you and still visit all of the pubs. To access all pubs on the route you’ll require a Nexus travel card or an All Zone Day Saver – trust us from experience, it’s not worth an £80 fine. This will give you access to both the Metro as well as the ferry crossing.

1. The Junction (Haymarket)

The start of your pub conquest. The central location of The Junction makes it somewhat of a natural starting point, sandwiched between the Haymarket Metro and bus station. The Junction is easily accessible to those partaking in the crawl.

The first of four Greene King pubs on this route, they offer a multitude of lagers and ales with the added bonus of a student discount giving all students 20% off.

2. The Lonsdale (West Jesmond)

Continuing with the Greene King theme, The Lonsdale is situated directly opposite the West Jesmond Metro station and a short walk under the tracks will take you to your second stop on your Metro adventure.

Boasting a friendly atmosphere as well as a new refurbishment and a variety of pub games, this compliments the variety of drinks on offer: students, make sure to keep your student ID handy as once again a generous 20% discount will be available.

3. The Victory (South Gosforth)

A short stroll down Station Road will take you to your third stop. One of the quainter stops on the route, you’ll be given the choice to sit in this classic local or you can take your drinks to the outside seating area situated in front of the pub.

Whilst sat in this traditional setting, on top of offering popular lagers, local ales are also purchasable if you desire an authentic taste of the North East.

4. The Black Bull (Four Lane Ends)

The penultimate Greene King pub on this route and the third to offer the 20% student discount. Similar to the first two, you’re assured a good drink at a fair price; boasting pub games and the occasional live entertainment, the Bull is another great pub providing the opportunity to socialise over a refreshing pint and a quick game of pool.

5. Left Luggage Room (Monkseaton)

As we progress past the halfway point, our next stop is most certainly the quirkiest of the crawl. Specialising in craft beers, the Left Luggage Room is placed in Unit 6 of Monkseaton Metro station, thus requiring the shortest walk from the Metro to your pint.

A sight not often seen in pubs, the Left Luggage Room features no televisions as they relish and embody the established values of the pub; quality alcohol and even better conversation.

6. The Salutation (Tynemouth)

The last stop before the ferry crossing, The Salutation is a five minute walk from the Tynemouth Metro, located on the popular Front Street. You’re given a spacious pub bearing a variety of drinks, including a great two for one deal on cocktails. Tynemouth also provides the ideal opportunity to line your stomach as the day progresses.

On top of the Salutation offering popular favourites such as burgers and pizza, other establishments are available, most notably Marshalls Fish and Chips which was famously visited by Jimi Hendrix in 1967. The more you know.

7. The Wouldhave (South Shields)

To access the seventh pub on this trail, you are required to take the ferry from North Shields to South Shields, where your Metro ticket will grant you access on the ferry crossing – so prep your sea legs.

On arrival in South Tyneside it’s just a short walk into town via King Street where the penultimate pub awaits. The Wouldhave is included as the honorary Wetherspoons of the Metro pub crawl, a drinking paradise for students with a culmination of drinks available at affordable prices.

8. Ben Lomond (Jarrow)

The last pub of the crawl is based on Jarrow High Street and it’s also the final Greene King pub on the route. They unfortunately do not offer student discount, but do offer the consolidation a Greene King pub provides, as at this final destination you can round the route off with an assortment of the most popular lagers and other alcoholic beverages.

9. It’s down to you

If you’ve visited all pubs on the crawl and you’re not ready to call it a night, use the Metro to extend your crawl or tailor this route to your own liking. You can add any other station to it, or simply make the most of your day saver ticket and work your way back into Newcastle and continue your drinking adventure there.

This is such a fun way to spend your Saturday and your North East initiation is not fully complete until you’ve bought a bev in each pub on the crawl. Good luck.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.