Taylor Swift The Tortured Poets Department best songs

The 10 best songs on Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department, according to streams

Justice for So High School!!!

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, or in some sort of avoid Taylor Swift at all costs doomsday bunker, you’re probably aware that her latest album The Tortured Poets Department has a whopping 31 songs on it and runs at over two hours. Wherever you stand with the critically divisive album or just Taylor’s music in general, we’re all in agreement that that is a lot to deal with. The album’s been out nearly a week now, and the streams are racking up as per usual. With all the songs released on the same day, the people have spoken on what the public deem the best essential songs on The Tortured Poets Department by Taylor Swift, according to their streams on Spotify.

1o. Fresh Out The Slammer – 29 million

Kicking off the top 10 best essential new Taylor Swift songs is actually my personal least favourite on the entirety of The Tortured Poets Department. My only logic for this on getting in the list is that it’s track seven and everything before it on the record is already in the top 10. Not a fave.

9. Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me? – 33.5 million

Not surprising to see this one up there, beating tracks before it on the tracklist. It has one of Taylor’s best and biggest vocals on the entire record.

8. Florida!!! – 34.9 million

Clearly one of the best tracks on The Tortured Poets Department, this collaboration with Florence + The Machine brings all The Welch’s gusto and stands out as sonically a lot different to the rest of the record. A bop.

7. But Daddy I Love Him – 37 million

The subject matter rumours pinning this on Matty Healy clearly has a lot of people tuning in to get the gossip. You can’t blame them really.

6. I Can Do It With a Broken Heart – 39 million

One of the only songs on the album that sounds like a clear hit, it kind of reminds me of Karma from Midnights as a later tracklist tune that ups the ante and kicks in with some really fun production.

5. My Boy Only Breaks His Favourite Toys – 40 million

Yeah, this one’s a banger. Great chorus. I will give you your claps when you deserve them, Taylor Swift – perfect way to mark the top five best songs on The Tortured Poets Department as per their streams. Has the oomph a lot of tracks on this record do not have.

4. So Long, London – 42 million

With a title like that and a very public split from two British beaus in the forms of Joe Alwyn and Matty Healy, and the fact its spot in the tracklist is the mythical track five – what did you expect?

3. The Tortured Poets Department – 42.7 million

How on earth did the worst song on the album manage this? I’d guess by having a lyric as ridiculous as “We declared Charlie Puth should be a bigger artist” people are going to want to hear it for themselves.

2. Down Bad – 44 million

Track four has some lovely twinkly production, and considering it’s got the most streams and it’s not the lead single I’d say this is a safe bet for next to get a single release. It’s mid for me though. Sorry.

1. Fortnight – 66.3 million

I really love it for Post Malone that he’s got guest spots on COWBOY CARTER and The Tortured Poets Department, and this collaboration with Taylor Swift has secured him one of the best songs on the album and a surefire hit as it was serviced to radio as the lead single. With a music video, of course. I really like this one. It’s all set up for success – a big artist feature, track one on the album and lead single. Streams ahoy.

All streaming stats correct at the time of publication. 

For more about the Taylor Swift and all the latest film and entertainment news, memes and other fun stuff, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook.