Applications for The Tab’s Summer Internship programme 2024 are now open

Applications close May 7th

Applications for The Tab Summer Internship programme 2023 are now open, and we want the best Tab student writers to join us at The Tab HQ.

This year we are offering one-week remote placements, which will involve you in every aspect of our editorial output, from breaking big stories, writing the hottest trash TV takes, creating powerful opinion pieces to managing social media.

Summer internships are given to our best rising stars and those who have been committed and regularly written for The Tab.

Due to The Tab HQ staff’s flexible office working, this year’s internships will be offered remotely with the opportunity to come into our London office for two of the five days for any students who can make it work. We have offered remote internships since 2020 and every year they’ve been a complete success, with interns joining the office (virtually) week by week for months.

This year’s Summer Internship will run Monday-Friday, and will start in May running through until September. Placements will each be one week long.

Some of The Tab HQ team

What will you be doing?

Every morning between 9am and 9:45am, the team trawls the internet for new stories, and at 9:45 we have our pitching meeting, where we discuss what we’ll be writing that day. The ideal candidate is someone comfortable finding original ideas for stories and confidently pitching them.

As an intern, you’ll be a member of the editorial team, and you’ll have the opportunity to write and publish multiple stories every day. Hours are 9am-6pm, for a full week Monday-Thursday with an early finish on Friday of 4:30pm. The content on our site is varied, and you should be ready to write stories like these ones produced by interns last year:

If your housemates have done 7/13 of these things, they’re the worst people to live with

‘It’s a publicity stunt’: Why unis parading alpacas as therapy doesn’t help students

The 27 types of student you’re guaranteed to find in the library this exam season

Bouncy balls and choreography: How Netflix producers filmed Queen Charlotte sex scenes

This is what every student is like at a festival, based on their uni

Exposed: The Russell Group universities most dependent on international student fees

A considered ranking of Rockstar’s best games, from average to fully fledged masterpieces

If you have any of these 36 things in your new uni room then you’re basic af

You can only be one so take this quiz to find out which Taylor Swift Era you are

Space to the South Pole: The most expensive tourist trips people actually pay for

‘They weren’t even sweating’: Inside the bizarre influencer trip to Shein’s Chinese factories

‘This was no mistake’: University edits out student’s protest at graduation ceremony

I watched Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging for the first time and I’ve never cringed more

An indisputable ranking of the all the UK coffee shops

Who runs the world? A brief history of all the women who carried men to the Love Island final

Every single time we rooted for a Love Island friendship more than the actual couples

Somebody from HQ will be in regular phone contact to give you help and advice, so you’ll be brought into the team as much as is possible. It’s a great experience to put on your CV and will teach you loads of skills if you want a job in the media.

How to apply

If you are interested in applying for an internship at The Tab, please email [email protected] with answers to the following:

• Come up with three story ideas that you think would work well on our site

1) An experience feature

2) A fun feature (e.g. a quiz, a listicle, or a meme round up)

3) A news follow-up to one of these three recent Tab stories:

Cardiff University rugby team caught in huge brawl with local residents during pub social

Student fined £1,000 after pouring vodka in flatmate’s eyes and setting fire to her room

American Football Varsity match abandoned after King’s player allegedly used racial slur on pitch

• Send links to three Tab stories you’ve written that you’re the most proud of and in a sentence tell us why

• Tell us, in 100 words, what you as an intern would bring to The Tab

Please tell us your name and which university Tab you write for in the subject line. In your email tell us the dates in May, July, August and September you are available and whether you would like to spend two days in the London office or be completely remote. 

Applications close at 11.59pm on Sunday 7th May.

There is an option to come into the The Tab HQ office in London for two days of the internship.

We will take into consideration everyone who sends in an application, but due to demand we can’t take on everyone. Priority will be given to those who haven’t done this programme or similar with us before.

Due to volume of applications we are only able to get back to successful candidates.