Every single time we rooted for a Love Island friendship more than the actual couples

Love Island? More like Friend Island

Year on year, Love Island feeds us with questionable couples, most of which, last for a week. But amidst all this desperate scramble for fame, we see some genuine connections form throughout the weeks – and all of them are friendships. Granted, we see a lot of the islanders vibing on Love Island: The Best Bits, but if you take a moment to sit back and unpiak who sits with who on the daybeds, you quickly find there’s more bestie duos than romantic couples.

There have been more interesting friendships unfold than forced talking stages, for sure. I think I speak for the whole population when I say we’d rather watch Chris and Kem rap, than a couple have a sexy getaway in the Hideaway. Why? Because friendships are what make Love Island more real, and watching them stay together after the show is more wholesome than seeing which events the couples rock up to – yawn. Here’s the rundown of all the iconic friendships to come from the Love Island villa:

Chris and Kem – Season three

via ITV

When I think of iconic Love Island friendship duos, this pair is the first one I think of. Their catchy rap to “lift the mood a bit” was the most vibey event the show has ever witnessed, later resulting in their song Little Bit Leave It. Was it instantly added to my pres playlist? No. But do I know all the words? Yes.

They also got up close and personal, deciding to shave their names into each other’s pubes. Goals! Aside from their funny moments, the pair were also there for each other when they needed it most (queue a cheeky spoon). No, seriously, this bromance involved a lot of cuddling, and I’m here for it.

Olivia and Amber – Season three

via ITV

Although their friendship isn’t vocal on social media, I’d like to believe these two are still mates as Amber said “she wouldn’t have gotten through” Love Island without Olivia’s friendship. Aww. On the show, they were a fiery pair that got a lot of love from the public for being hilariously sassy. Before they split, when paired up with Chris and Kem, they were a group to remember – and a double-date I’d kill to fifth wheel.

Maura and Molly-Mae – Season five

via ITV

I think EVERYONE can remember Molly-Mae hiding behind a plant pot, watching Maura go on a date with Tommy Fury. The perfect meme. What originally started as a battle for Tommy turned into the most beautiful enemies-to-lovers friendship arc Love Island has seen. Once Maura had moved onto Curtis, it was all sunshine and rainbows, with Maura and Molly-Mae bouncing off one another, giving advice, and providing pure vibes. The pair are still besties now, posting with each other and reminding us that female support and friendship is the most wholesome type of love.

Amber and Anna – Season five

via ITV

Dubbed “Storm Anna”, it’s fair to say both of these gals had a spicy side to them, and weren’t afraid to say what they were feeling. Although they could stick up for themselves, they also had each other’s backs always – even if they didn’t necessarily solve drama in the calmest way. You have to admire their attitude, and the fact they’re still friends, all these years later.

Ovie and Amber – Season five

via ITV

Lowkey always wanted these guys to get together, but I had to give myself a reality-check because yes, boys and girls can be mates without dating. Once everyone got over the fact these guys had no romantic feelings, the duo developed a brother-sister relationship, with Ovie comforting Amber in her darkest moments, giving her a shoulder to cry on when she needed it. What are friends for, eh? In fact, the friendship was so strong, it was what arguably got them both into the final couples – slay.

Paige and Shaughna – Season six

via ITV

For this couple, it was love at first sight. They became friends instantly, and supported each other over the course of the show, with Finn eventually accepting Shaughna as part of their threesome. What viewers loved most about this pair was how REAL they were. They were so down-to-earth, making vlogs, cups of tea, and sarcastic comments about each other. What’s not to love?

Kaz and Liberty – Season seven

love island friendship

via ITV

Like Paige and Shaughna, this friendship formed within the first day in the Love Island villa. When Liberty had all her troubles with Jake, eventually leaving the show after they ended, Kaz was always by her side. Despite them having a five-year age gap, this is a duo that has stood the test of time, with them now even having a YouTube together.

Chloe and Millie – Season seven

love island friendship

via ITV

I CANNOT get enough of these two. Whenever I see them on my socials, I know it’s going to make me laugh. They have sooo much energy and get on so well. All you have to do is watch a few clips from Love Island to know how hilarious this pairing is. If I were to become friends with any past islanders, I’d be on my hands and knees begging for a night out with these two. I know it would be FERAL, and that’s why I love them.

Casey, Tom, and Will – Season nine

love island friendship

via ITV

Known as the “Three Musketeers” during their time on the show, the public were obsessed with this blossoming bromance. Literally, a solid bromance hadn’t occurred since Chris and Kem, so they got a LOT of love. Sadly, since then, it appears Will no longer spends time with them as a trio, so the joy they brought to our television screens will have to remain in our memories. I’ll be real, this hurts more than any of the couples breaking up.

Ella, Whitney, Catherine, and Jess – Season 10

love island friendship

via Boots UK

I couldn’t forget these four from the latest season. At the reunion, Ella revealed they have a group chat and my TikTok has been bombarded with them dancing together. If I could have chosen a winner for this year, it would have been this group.

love island friendship

via Boots UK

I am desperately hoping for a YouTube channel together or a spin-off show because this group kept me permanently entertained. Seriously, I don’t know how I’ll cope if I can’t watch them doing stupid shit together. Funny, classy, and strong, these women literally represent the word: Girlboss.

Featured images via @maurahiggins and @kemcetinay Instagram.