Image may contain: Photo, Photography, Portrait, Face, Girl, Teen, Child, Woman, Person, Blonde, Human, Female, Kid

Meet the Cardiff University third year who has a part in Netflix’s Sex Education

We interviewed Lucy Newson who was cast in the show alongside Asa Butterfield and Gillian Anderson

The new Netflix series Sex Education has been the talk of the week. The fresh teen series follows the awkward Otis (Asa Butterfield), becoming his schools sex councillor; following the footsteps of his mother (Gillian Anderson).

We earlier revealed that the show is filmed in USW's old campus and how several Cardiff University students feature in the show. And now we have an exclusive interview with third year student Lucy Newson who starred in the show opposite Asa Butterfield.

Lucy is in her final year studying Communications and Media at Cardiff University and is part of the JOMEC netball team who also feature as extras in the show.

Lucy plays one of Otis' patients in the show, confessing that she has a problem with her pubic hair. Here is a clip of her acting debut alongside Asa:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsgIpYQhWZ1

After the success of the show, The Cardiff Tab spoke to Lucy about her exciting experience, what the cast of Sex Education are really like, and whether she plans to act in the future after her sudden taste of fame.

How did you get the role on Sex Education, have you ever done acting before?

My friend works for a casting agency and asked members of the JOMEC netball team if they fancied appearing as an extra on a new Netflix series. In the past I use to attend drama school. I also did drama GCSE and A Level, but I was more into comedy acting compared to the serious stuff.

What were the main cast like, did you get to mingle with them much?

I'm in a scene with Otis (Asa Butterfield) when I confess my pube problem. I was already nervous because I was given my lines about two minutes before the scene, so I kept messing up. To add to my problem, I couldn’t lift myself up on the desk, so Asa started laughing and we had a brief chat.

I couldn’t help but think of him as Bruno from The Boy in Striped Pyjamas, but he was sound and is just a typical 21-year-old. I also chatted to Maeve (played by Emma Mackey) whilst the camera crew were switching angles during the canteen scene.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq-YE-pA0jn

One thing that has confused many of us is that the series looks like it was filmed in 1980s America, but it's actually set in modern day Britain. Do you know why this is?

The series followed the American school theme as it has been broadcasted on the US and UK Netflix so had to appeal to wider audiences. I’m not entirely sure why it looks like it’s set in the 1980s but it reminds me a lot of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. In the dress rehearsal I was told to bring any items of clothing that mimicked 80s fashion.

What time of year was the show filmed, and how did you balance it with university?

Filming for the show took place towards the end of May, which made it a bit tricky because it was during the end of year deadlines. I was asked to do more scenes later on, but unfortunately I had already left the country to work in America over the summer. This was a bit of a bummer, as I would have loved to do more acting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bku_kduHEzf

What do friends and family think of your new found fame?

When I first told my parents that I was acting in a series they were like “Sex Education? Is it like embarrassing bodies?”. But when I explained it was a TV series for Netflix they were over the moon.

My Nan was taken back a bit when she heard some of the lines I had to say. But they're proud. My dad posted it on his Facebook story and even insisted on making a t-shirt with my face on it… bit embarrassing, but just a proud Dad I guess.

Has this appearance made you consider doing more acting ?

I’ve always considered doing comedy acting, to be the female James Corden of television. I have also looked into doing reality TV work but I would probably end up promoting discounted tooth whitening products with my code 'LUCY10.' In all seriousness, I would love to appear on Love Island or even Coach Trip just for 15 minutes of fame.

Lucy has already made it on to an international series, so watch this space as she could be on our screens again very soon.

Other articles about Sex Education:

Sex Education is filmed on a USW campus and features several Cardiff Uni students

Sex Education’s unapologetic diversity is what makes it so powerful

This is what the cast of Netflix’s ‘Sex Education’ are like in real life

Say hello to Emma Mackey, Leeds graduate and Maeve Wiley in Netflix’s ‘Sex Education’