Seven things to do in Cardiff when it finally stops raining

Spring has sprung in the rainiest city

It’s been a very long winter here in Cardiff but the sun is finally starting to shine again.

Whether this is going to be your first summer in the city or your third, it’s always exciting to plan some activities for when the weather does improve.

From pub gardens to beach trips; Cardiff has plenty to offer you and your friends over the spring/summer period.

1. Go for a coffee (or cocktails) on Rhostio’s roof terrace

It’s no surprise that Rhostio is every Cardiff student’s favourite spot for a caffeine fix, and their happy hour deals are even more enticing. Now that the weather has started to improve, they have opened up their roof terrace for business.

Get yourself two Aperol spritzes for the price of one, or your usual iced latte, and soak up the rays.

2. Take a picnic to Bute Park

Bute Park is beautiful all year round, but it’s even better in the sun.

You can create the perfect picnic on a student-friendly budget with ‘picky bits’ from Lidl; pack any old blanket that you don’t mind getting a bit grubby and maybe a book to read, a couple of cocktail cans to keep you going, and good company.

3. Pub crawl

When the sun is shining, who doesn’t love a pub garden?

If it’s Wednesday, why not start at the Woody for some extremely cheap wings accompanied by a pint? You could then make your way up the road to the Flora, maybe for another pint or a glass of wine, or Metchy’s for their delicious cocktails. The Mackintosh also has a decent outside area for you to enjoy another drink, and then maybe you’ll end up in Misfits if the time is right (you probably will).

4. Go for a stroll around the bay

You can easily get the train to the bay from Cathays or Queen Street station and there is so much for you to do on a glorious day.

If you’re feeling fancy, you could go for a meal on the waterfront and sit in the sun, or you could do some shopping and grab a coffee/ice cream afterwards.

There is even an Aqua Park water course near the bay open from the eighth of June, if you and your friends fancy something more challenging.

5. Sunbathe in your Cathays garden *paradise*

Haul your desk chair outside and enjoy the extent of the UV rays that the UK has to offer. Your student garden (if you can even call it that) is the perfect place to spend your study breaks and get the vitamin D you have been missing since September.

Just a warning, you will be joined by rats.

6. Beers and games in Pontcanna Fields

Perfect for first-year students, Pontcanna Fields is just a short walk away from the Taly halls.

Bring your speakers, get some drinks on your way, and find someone who has a sports ball of some sort – this always makes it more exciting.

7. Beach trips

Both Penarth and Barry Island are just short drives away from the city centre, and a nice change from the rubbish-filled streets of Cathays. You could also very easily catch the train or get a bus for a quick coastal trip.

Visit the home of Gavin and Stacey and play in Nessa’s slots, or grab some fish and chips and sit by Penarth Pier. Just make sure you get down to the sea to make the most of the sun here in Wales (it won’t last for long).

Whether you choose to stay in Cathays, or venture further west when it finally warms up, you won’t be short of ideas.

Just remember to wear your SPF as the sun will be a shock for everyone after eight months of wind, rain, and clouds (not just the gingers).