Oxford holds candle lit vigil for Orlando massacre victims

Hundreds showed up to light candles for the lives lost

On Wednesday night, Oxford honoured those who lost their lives in the Orlando attacks at Radcliffe Square, the heart of the city centre.

The event, Oxford Stands with Orlando, was created by LGBTQ Campaign to commemorate the 50 people killed and 53 injured at a gay club last week.

The candle lit vigil began with a welcome talk followed by poetry recitals and the listing of the names and ages of all those that were lost.

Despite hundreds of people of all ages showing up, during the two-minute silence, not one sound could be heard as Oxford stood solemnly still. However, there was the odd whisper of prayer as onlookers held hands with heads bowed and eyes closed.

During a choir rendition of ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow’, the crowd which was hundreds of people dense, joined in as an expression of love.

Katt Walton, a second year student from Christ Church College told The Tab: “I didn’t expect it to be so peaceful. So many people have come.

“I wanted this vigil to be somewhere for people to come together and to be allowed to get upset and not to be told it is unimportant. We should be able to be upset about something like this in a positive place”.

Katt Walton who helped organise the event

Organisers of the event provided a hall in Wadham College as a “safe place for people feeling overwhelmed about the LQBTQ victims”.