Brookes grad died after being hit in tragic helicopter accident on holiday in Greece

Jack’s family have called him ‘the most wonderful boy’

A recent Oxford Brookes graduate has died after being hit by the propeller of a helicopter.

Jack Fenton, 22 years old, was flying from from the Greek island of Mykonos to the mainland via helicopter on Monday with three friends when he was hit by the helicopter blade, the Daily Mail reports.

All four passengers were safely disembarked from the aircraft and walked to a waiting lounge.

“He was the first to disembark the Bell 407 helicopter in Athens and as he moved to the back, he was hit in the head by the aircraft’s small rear rotor”, a senior police official told The Times.

Some media outlets have reported Jack may have been attempting to take a photo when the accident happened, however his friend has told the Daily Mail: “I’ve heard people say Jack was on his phone and ran back to the helicopter and this is totally untrue. He was not on his phone and why he turned towards the rear of the helicopter I don’t know.”

Ioannis Kandyllis, president of Greece’s committee for aviation accidents, which is investigating the incident, said: “All four passengers had disembarked and were escorted to a private lounge awaiting a private flight for London.

“But as they were in the lounge the victim broke away and returned to the tarmac, rushing to the helicopter at a fast pace. Witnesses we spoke to said he had a phone to his ear and was walking to the aircraft quickly, defying ground crew shouting to him, ‘Stop! Stop!

“Within seconds the tragic accident occurred. It was horrific.”

The aircraft’s pilot and two others were arrested in relation to the incident and appeared before a prosecutor today, the Daily Mail reported.

Jack had reportedly been working as a junior account executive at a social media marketing firm at the time of the accident.

Jack’s mother Victoria told the Daily Mail: “We only found out what happened at 10pm last night. We are completely devastated. He was the most wonderful boy.

“I think the pilot is in custody, but it was the most horrible of accidents by the looks of it. Jack had travelled to Greece with some of his friends, a couple who were celebrating birthdays out there.

“His family have stayed in Kent. We didn’t go to Greece. A father of one of his friends was with them.

“Jack and his friends had got a helicopter from Athens to Mykonos without any problems and so did the same again, they got a helicopter from Mykonos back to Athens.

“He had got off safely when it landed in Athens but for some reason went back behind the helicopter and it was the rear propeller which killed him. It was instant.

“He’d been out the night before but hadn’t had anything to drink all day yesterday except for water. He and his friends were all sober.”

A spokesperson for the Greek police confirmed that an investigation into the incident is underway. They said: “All three face charges of negligent homicide.

“They were transferred this morning to Athens where they will face a court hearing. It will be up to the judge whether to release them or remand them in custody.

“How the accident happened is still under investigation. It was a very unfortunate incident. We hope that the British man’s family will stay strong.”

If you have been affected by any of the issues discussed in this article then please contact the Samaritans on 116 123 or the Brookes Wellbeing Services

• These are the Russell Group unis where students were least satisfied with their course in 2022

• Manchester University student graduates despite being told she had only a year to live

• Uni tells PhD students they should consider selling Avon to help them cope financially

Featured image via Facebook.