eggs House Dragon Game Thrones

House of the Dragon director confirms *those* eggs are ones Daenerys has in Game of Thrones

The reveal goes against the book lore about the origin of the eggs

Erm, so did anybody else spot the dragon eggs during the most recent episode of House of the Dragon, and think they looked remarkably similar to the ones Daenerys has in Game of Thrones? Well, it turns out that they’re the exact same eggs that will eventually be given to Daenerys by Illyrio in Game of Thrones, but what on earth are they doing in House of the Dragon?

Via HBO

During the episode, Rhaenyra decides to send her children away in order to keep them safe. She puts Rhaena in charge of looking after Aegon and Viserys whilst they travel to the Vale, as well as four exotic dragon eggs. These eggs eventually hatch into Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion with House of the Dragon director, Geeta Vasant Patel revealing to Mashable: “All of us who work on this show are big Game of Thrones fans, so it was very exciting to shoot that scene.”

Via HBO

However, some fans who have read the books aren’t too happy with the changes, as it does go against the lore George Martin created for the origins of the dragon eggs. In the Game of Thrones book, Fire & Blood, the eggs arrive in Essos way before the events of House of the Dragon. A noblewoman called Elissa Farman stole the eggs from Dragonstone after she started feuding with Rhaena Targaryen, a different one from who appears in House of the Dragon. Elissa then sells the eggs, and until they are given to Daenerys their origins are unknown.

For all the latest TV news, drops, quizzes, and memes, like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.  

• House of the Dragon just eerily foreshadowed the tragic fate of Daemon Targaryen

• House of the Dragon showrunner reveals what Daemon really said to Blood and Cheese

This is how your favourite House of the Dragon characters would vote in the General Election

Featured images via ITV and HBO.