The eight best vegan places to eat in Newcastle

Yes, vegans have more options than bean burgers and fries these days

With more and more people making the choice to become vegan every day, it’s no surprise that the list of vegan friendly restaurants in Newcastle is getting bigger too. Gone are the days when the only item vegans could eat on the menu were bean burgers and fries, there’s now a whole host of international cuisine that is plant based.  So whether you’re a fully committed vegan or you just want to lower your meat consumption, here are the eight best places to eat vegan in Newcastle.

Little Green Social

Located in Sandyford on Goldspink Lane, Little Green Social is a fully plant based family owned cafe. They specialise in revolutionary techniques and serve both classic breakfast and lunch options to an evening menu which includes cocktails. Open Thursday through Monday from nine, there’s no excuse not to give them a visit for a weekend treat.

Price – £11 for a full English, with evening meals starting at £7.50. Small plates also available priced at £2-£5

Pizza Punks

If you’re craving Italian food, pizza punks is the perfect choice. Their ‘create your own’ option includes a whole host of plant based toppings that taste just as good as the real thing including vegan nduja, sausage and BBQ jackfruit. The best part is that pizzas can be made vegan at no extra cost, which is often an irritating  consequence of adding vegan cheese. They also do amazing cocktails, and with their Instagram-able pink interior and sing a long hits from the likes of Paramore, Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance, Pizza Punks makes a perfect date spot.

Price – £11 for a create your own pizza with unlimited toppings.

The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn is perfect for when you fancy plant based pub food. With the likes of vegan fish and chips and even roast dinners including seitan pork on offer, it’s the first of it’s kind in Newcastle and is the perfect spot for a pint. Plus, it’s located in Ouseburn, is dog friendly and has outdoor seating, making it the perfect place to spend a chilled Sunday.

Price – all mains are around £11/£12 including fish and chips and their roast dinners.

Vegano

The clue is in the name with this one – Vegano is a one hundred percent vegan restaurant in the city centre, meaning there’s no need to worry about a lack of suitable options. Serving everything from burgers to pizzas, even kebabs. They also have a good selection of sweet treats, including tiramisu, cheesecake and milkshakes.

Price – mains are around £10-£12 and are all serves with fries.

Fat Hippo

Fat Hippo’s burgers are arguably some of the best in Newcastle, made even better by their extensive vegan menu. Offering both plant based ‘chicken’ and ‘beef’ options, including their ‘Notorious VFC 2.0’ – a southern fried patty, hash brown, vegan cheese, lettuce, pickles, BBQ sauce and zinger mayo. They even offer vegan starters, in the form of loaded waffles, nachos and tater tots. Fat Hippo has locations in both Jesmond and their underground city centre location, making it even more tempting to pay a visit.

Price – burgers served with chips and priced from £10.90-£12.90

Kimchi Planet

Kimchi Planet serves up Korean street food in the heart of Shieldfield, and has vegan beef on offer which can be added to their rice bowls or their kimbap (sushi rolls) to make the dish planted based. These also serve vegan ramyun, or Korean instant noodles and a whole host of Korean drinks. They even offer takeaway and are available on Deliveroo for those days you can’t be bothered to actually leave the house.

Price – Both rice bowls and kimbap are £6 and ramyun is £3.50, making it a totally affordable option.

Naughty by Nature

Naughty by Nature is a fully plant based takeaway, available on Deliveroo. They offer a selection of burgers and hot dogs available in brightly coloured blue, pink or black buns (there’s no difference in flavour, they state it’s purely for the aesthetic) as well as ‘THIS isn’t’ chicken nuggets, bacon loaded fries and milkshakes – it’s a yes from us. They’re usually open every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from five until ten, making them the perfect hangover cure or weekend takeaway treat but are currently closed as  they’re in the process of opening an in person location – exciting.

Price – all mains under £10, with the option to add fries for £2

The Tanner’s Arms

The Tanner’s Arms pub, located in Ouseburn, has a massive selection of Vegan street food, offering ‘Frickin’ plant based chicken as a part of their burgers and loaded fries, including salt and pepper, chip shop curry and Berlin techno-party fries. Again, perfect for a pint or two and a great starting point for a night out in Ouseburn.

Price – all vegan options under £10

These are just our small business based picks – Newcastle also has a whole host of chains such as Wagamama, YO sushi, Chiquito and Pizza Express that all cater to vegans, too.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Similar stories recommended by this writer:

We tried Davey’s, Sandyford’s newest sandwich hotspot

• Five ways that you can still celebrate Pride in Newcastle

• Jesmond resident who poured disinfectant on urinating men praised in ASB Facebook group