Five ways that you can still celebrate Pride in Newcastle

Just because Boris cancelled the in person event, doesn’t mean you can’t still celebrate

With Newcastle’s Northern Pride’s usual in person event cancelled this year due to coronavirus, many of us are feeling a little deflated and stuck on how we can celebrate without breaking the rules. So, here’s our list to inspire you – five ways that you can still celebrate Pride in Newcastle, this month and always.

Have a themed party

If you can’t go to Pride, why not bring it to you? Whether you’re part of the community or an ally supporting your pals, a Pride-themed party in your student house or garden is so much fun. Invite all of your mates and complete the vibes with festival-themed outfits, Pride flags and disco lights for decoration and way too much cheesy pop music. A themed party will make you feel like you’re at the real thing and there’s loads of Pride playlists on Spotify to set the mood, too.

Go on a night out in the Pink Triangle

Despite the fact that club openings have been pushed back to July, many bars in the Pink Triangle, Newcastle’s gay scene, are still open with social distancing. For an unreal night out, go to Newcastle’s newest LGBTQ+ addition, Queens, for some cocktails, followed by Rusty’s, an essential part of any good night out, and finally visit the notorious Powerhouse, open until 5am on Saturdays. Here you can choose between Clubland, or full on camp pop in The Pink Rooms for the ultimate Pride night out.

Stream LGBTQ+ content online

If you aren’t feeling in the path mood, you can always stay home and celebrate Pride from your bedroom through online content. Whether it’s RuPaul’s Drag Race, Feel Good or Queer Eye, streaming services such as Netflix have plenty of shows and films that celebrate the diversity of the community. Furthermore, you can stream your favourite artists or creators on Spotify and Youtube to even further help support their projects this June. Personal favourites from our team include Sam Smith, Girl in Red, Lil Nas X, Clairo and Years and Years.

Support local LGBTQ+ businesses

A different and more relaxed way to celebrate Pride is to support the community’s creators. You can find small businesses both in Newcastle and online that are either run by or cater for members of LGBTQ+ community and with the money you’ve saved on attending Pride, why not treat yourself? Whether that means visiting LGBTQ+ bars or cafes, or buying from an artist or creator on Etsy, helping a business is the perfect way to celebrate Pride as it’s one that really does make a difference.

Join the online event

Despite the fact that physical Pride has been cancelled, Northern Pride is still taking place online on July 24th. Hosted by Jodie Harsh and Gok Wan, fans can tune in to Northern Pride Online 2.1 to stream the event. As well as this, many Newcastle venues such as Central have agreed to stream the event all day, and tickets can be booked online now. Even Gateshead IKEA is streaming the event for their staff! This is probably the closest to real Pride you can get this year, so is a perfect celebration option for anyone who really misses the real thing.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Similar stories recommended by this writer:

Jesmond resident who poured disinfectant on urinating men praised in ASB Facebook group

The new Jesmond coffee van offering you a mental health boost and maybe even a free drink

• Eight reasons why you should stay in Newcastle for summer