We asked what you think about this year’s Summer Ball

Does the risk of your stiletto heel getting stuck in animal droppings outweigh the countless animal selfies?

When thinking of a summer ball images of marquees, long dresses, high heels, smart suits and champagne flutes aplenty come to mind. These aren’t quite the same images that spring to mind though when you consider this year’s ball will be held at Bristol Zoo.

We decided to find out whether the idea of dancing with the animals had you going bananas or swinging from the trees in glee.

Georgia Evans, English and Journalism, 3rd year

Georgia Evans

I think it’s good they’ve hired out an external venue for the event as it makes more of an occasion than having it in the campus grounds where students have previously studied. Bristol Zoo is a really pretty venue, especially in summer, meaning loads of great photo opportunities.

Beth Dunn, Marketing, 3rd year

Beth Dunn

I think it’s a good idea, very intriguing as I’ve not heard of it being done before. I’m intrigued to see how they’ll pull it off at Bristol Zoo and with everyone getting to the after-party. However, I’m worried for the animals and how students will act around them. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Emma Ramsey, Media and Journalism, 3rd year

Emma Ramsey

I think it’s a good venue because it’s something a bit different. It’s not just a ball as the zoo will be good entertainment too.

Tze Ma, Teaching Early Years, 3rd year

Tze Ma

At first I wasn’t really impressed with the venue choice because of the animals – I felt a bit bad about how we will be intruding their habitat. However, I think it’ll be a cool experience.

Bethany Griffiths, Forensic Science, 3rd year

Bethany Griffiths

I like the choice of venue, it’s something quite different. However it’s a bit pricey considering the usual cost for zoo entry. All we’re getting extra is two bits of BBQ food.

Hannah Wakeman, English and Journalism, 3rd year

Hannah Wakeman

I think it sounds like a really good venue, it’s a bit unusual but cannot imagine how it’s going to work at all.

Katie Hooper, Law, 3rd year

Katie Hooper

I think it’s a bad idea for a venue. As much as I like zoos and it’s different to anything that’s been done before I don’t think it’s an ideal venue to hold a summer ball. I don’t like the idea of animals mixing with students drinking, I think it will make students feel more restricted and it will scare the animals.

Neil Bloomer, English and Journalism, 3rd year

Neil Bloomer

I think it’s an amazing venue and would be the only reason I’d want to attend. I’ll never get the chance to look at animals while wearing a suit again.

Hannah Griffin, Psychology, 3rd year

Hannah Griffin

I think it’s a really unusual idea for a ball location and will be a far more interesting end-of-year ball than other universities may be offering. However, I’m concerned for the animals’ welfare: loud music and drunk, inconsiderate uni students will upset the animals.

Surely with all the hustle and bustle from the ball the animals will be hiding away so we’ll be paying a fair amount of money for a ticket to walk around the zoo but will we actually see any animals?

Charlie Elliot, English and Journalism, 3rd year

Charlie Elliot

I think it’s a cool idea and I’m excited to see how it’ll work – I hope there will be some animals roaming around!

Henry Woodgate, English and Drama, 3rd year

Henry Woodgate

I think the venue choice is a cop out. The main appeal of a zoo, looking at animal exhibits, is frankly quite dull and that will be exacerbated by a “party” atmosphere. Not to mention, there’s a real risk of disrupting the animals’ lifestyle/schedule.

As of yet we have very few details of the summer ball, the only thing that’s been fully announced are the food stalls which are hardly the appealing aspect of the whole event. My course holds their own private event, I’d rather be there than in a zoo with the rest of the animals.

Morgan Harmer, Aerospace Engineering, 3rd year

Morgan Harmer

It’s the first I’ve heard of the Summer Ball so I won’t be going. Although it does sound like a good idea, as long as everyone doesn’t end up smelling like exotic animal poo.

Diana Willemijn Helmich English and Journalism, 3rd year

Diana Willemijn Helmich

I think it’s a great, original idea and definitely something that makes the event more unique and appealing to go to. However, I also feel like it’s a bit tricky to have drunk students in a zoo, especially because some animals are quite accessible. I hope they’ve really taken this into account and hired enough security to prevent anything happening to the animals.