Image may contain: Neighborhood, Architecture, Apartment Building, Office Building, Condo, Housing, High Rise, City, Urban, Building, Town, Human, Person

UWE’s Bristol Equity programme named best in country

The programme was introduced in 2016 and offers BAME students a chance to leverage leadership and enterprise skills for life after graduation

UWE's Bristol Equity Programme won the Retention, Support and Student Outcomes Award at The Guardian University Awards 2019 on Wednesday evening.

Equity is a community of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) student talent from all over UWE Bristol. Equity hosts many networking, mentoring and work shop events throughout the year which help students to build confidence and connect in a safe environment.

The workshops aim to provide all students with equal opportunities and skills that are required for career progression after they leave university.

This is a huge achievement for UWE's Equity Programme, especially as it has only been running for 2 years with the amazing team behind this success committed to the task of re-evaluating the stigma behind racial inequality in the workplace.

Dr. Zainab Khan the Director of the Equity Programme, who represented UWE at The Guardian Awards, told the Tab UWE: "We were delighted to be finalists at this year's Guardian University Awards but are over the moon to have actually won! This award means so much to everyone who's been involved in the Equity Programme".

"Working with students, local employers and national diversity thought leaders we have created something which the University can be really proud of and which offers BAME students a chance to leverage leadership and enterprise skills as they embark upon their graduate careers".

This is just the beginning for Bristol's Equity Programme, with its scheme generating a huge interest and success with BAME students and creating a long-life legacy in the hearts and minds of current UWE students and future UWE students to come.

Other awards included were the student experience award, business collaboration award and the research impact award.

You can find the complete list of winners here, and find out more about the UWE Equity Programme here.