UWE suspends overnight counselling service Nightline

The service was run by volunteers and has been temporarily suspended

Hide Images

UWE's overnight counselling service for students, Nightline, has been suspended.

This news comes after UWE were recently accused of lying about student suicide figures and the closure of this popular service will not be well-received among students. UWE have denied this claim.

The phone-in support service was introduced to the University in December 2017 in order to support students who may not be completely comfortable with discussing their problems with close friends or family.

One UWE student, Jess, told The UWE Tab: "I am really upset by the closure of Nightline, I know that this service has helped many of my friends during tough, unforeseen circumstances in their lives and it is disappointing to hear that it has been closed when students need it most."

UWE Student Union told The Tab: "The decision to temporarily suspend the service is to ensure the recruitment, training, processes and policies deliver the service required."

UWE are now reviewing the service to ensure they can re-introduce something that is "permanent, effective and consistently available to all students".

In the meantime, however, UWE have introduced a new online counselling platform called "Kooth Student". This service is available throughout the year – Monday to Friday 12pm-10pm and weekends from 6pm -10pm (this also includes outside of term time), we urge students seeking help to use this service."

If you’re struggling with a mental health issue, or know someone who is, please contact the Samaritans helpline on 116 123 or contact your university’s counselling service.

Useful mental health phone numbers:

Samaritans (24 hours) – 116 123 (UK)

Police, ambulance and fire service (emergency): 999

NHS medical help advice (24 hours): 111

Police non-emergency (24 hours): 101

SANE line mental health helpline (18:00 – 23:00): 0300 304 700

PAPYRUS: 0800 068 41 41