The Tab’s guide to the best vegan food in Newcastle

Whether you’re after a superfood salad or a greasy gyros, we’ve got you covered

A Vegan food has come a long way and nothing is more symbolic of Newcastle’s plant-based glow up than the introduction of Greggs’ vegan range, but if you’re after a little more than a sausage and cheeze bake, then look no further.

Here is our ultimate guide to eating vegan in the Toon.

Grainger Market

Starting off with a go-to vegan spot; the Grainger Market is a melting pot for vegan cuisine.

Redheads offers the most delicious truffle mac and cheese, and there is an entire vegan pie shop from Magpye, offering luxury traditional pies and mushy peas. They also stock vegan cheeses and other locally produced plant-based delicacies.

An honourable mention goes to SnackWhallah, who’s entire menu is vegan friendly Indian street food for ridiculously good prices.

Another firm vegan favourite in the city; Glazed Doughnuts has just opened its first stall in the market, having expanded from their first venue in High Heaton.

The Ship – Ouseburn and The Carriage – Jesmond

The Ship is a beautiful pub with an all-vegan kitchen. They offer everything from mac and “cheese” to “fish” and chips.

Their sister restaurant “The Carriage” offers a similar all-vegan menu in Jesmond, with everything from pizza to a seitan Sunday roast.

Little Green Social – Sandyford

This family-run vegan bistro serves everything from burgers to brownies. Little Green Social also doubles as a health-food shop, so it’s a solid choice if you’re after a more nutritional option.

It’s one of the highest rated in Newcastle on Happy Cow and they deliver. They also offer a 10% student discount on top of their amazing prices!

Super Natural Kitchen – City Centre

We truly are spoilt for choice in Newcastle, as Super Natural Kitchen offers us yet another all-vegan menu.

There really is something for everyone here – they serve curries, pastas, rice dishes, burritos, tacos, sandwiches, paninis and jacket potatoes. The only non-vegan produce is the cow’s milk they stock for non vegans.

Aidan’s Kitchen – Sandyford

Aidan’s kitchen is not entirely vegan, however it does boast some of the best vegan breakfast options around. The avocado toast with feta is definitely worth a try, and they occasionally stock vegan brownies and cakes also.

Butterfly Cabinet – Heaton

Butterfly Cabinet is renowned for its extensive menu and its vegan options do not disappoint. Whether you are after a traditional English breakfast or a “proper” burger, Butterfly Cabinet has a huge selection of options for meat eaters, veggies and vegans.

Vegano – City Centre

As the name suggests, Vegano is another all-vegan gem. The restaurant offering burgers, kebabs, mini pizzas, bruschetta, pasta, salads, breakfast items, doughnuts, cakes and other sweet treats.

The company also runs a food truck at Quayside Market, so there’s plenty opportunity to get your hands on some tasty treats.

Chaophraya – City Centre

Despite being slightly more costly than the other options in this guide, Chaophraya’s vegan offerings certainly make up for it.

The setting alone, a balcony overlooking Grey’s monument, is worth spending a few extra pounds for. Not only this, the restaurant are exceptionally accommodating of all dietary requirements and even have a special online allergens menu to assist your choice. Not to mention, the food is incredible.

The Tyne Bar – Ouseburn

Last, but by no means least is The Tyne Bar. The vegan hot-spot offers a vegan option for every category on their menu (except nachos!) and has a special range of vegan frankfurters. There truly is something for everyone and the prices are unbeatable.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.