A guide to the mental health support you can access at your uni

Despite efforts to tackle the stigma surrounding mental health, it can sometimes be daunting to ask for help

Although uni life can be fun, it can also be difficult and stressful, causing many to struggle with their mental health as a student.

Whether you’re a Newcastle or Northumbria student, have a previous diagnosis or are just after a little bit of extra help, there are plenty of services available in the city and on campus to support you and your studies.

Newcastle University

Newcastle has a 24/7 urgent helpline you can access here, as well as the SafeZone app which links you directly to University Security team on campus.

The university also provides access to SilverCloud online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy through your student login. You can self-sign up for these sessions, and for courses for specific Mental Health conditions and chronic health issues. These are monitored by a therapist to support your progress.

As well as these self-referred courses, if you have a diagnosis of an ongoing mental health condition the Mental Health team can provide additional support throughout your studies. This may be in the form of a Student Support Plan, where an advisor will recommend academic adjustments to assist your learning. They may also be able to help refer you to outside services.

In terms of maintaining general wellbeing, the university offers access to the iNCLude app as well as wellbeing workshops with counsellors – you can book on to these online to work on building positive habits and managing anxiety.

Northumbria University

The Northumbria website refers students to emergency services for urgent support, however the university still offers similar counselling services to those at Newcastle.

You can self-refer through the student portal to submit a form which will lead to an appointment for a wellbeing plan. The university may then refer you to a counsellor or a mental health practitioner. They may also recommend services in the community suited to your specific needs.

There are also guided self-help resources available through the University website and therapeutic workshops on specific conditions and mindfulness which you can access online through the university website.

General City Services

Kooth – Kooth is an online anonymous counselling and wellbeing support site. It has its own crisis service as well as offering professional and community support. The counsellors are BAACP-accredited and the scheme is NHS funded and promoted by UCAS.

Hub of Hope – The Hub of Hope is a mental health database that brings local, national, peer, community, charity, private and NHS mental health support and services together in one place, based on your specific needs. Just search your postcode and the site will show you all the support available to you in your area.

Talking Helps Newcastle – This is a self or GP-referred NHS service where you will be assessed and offered a choice of phone, online or in-person therapy and counselling sessions based on your individual needs.

Streetwise North – Streetwise provides a range of free mental-health support for 11-25 year olds. The service offers drop-in appointments with NHS nurses for sexual health guidance as well as access to Psychological Practitioners and counsellors.

The ‘Be A Game Changer’ campaign – You can access 24 hour support by texting BAGC to 85258. The scheme is endorsed by the Newcastle United Foundation and operated by Shout.

NIWE Eating Distress Service – NIWE is a charity-funded service providing specialised one to one counselling sessions. The service offers up to 20 sessions as well as running support groups for those who may not otherwise be able to access them.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably, for men aged 15 to 35) on 0800 58 58 58.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.