Peace & Loaf is worth every single penny

Food for thought

You might have heard of Peace & Loaf and if you haven’t, well, you should have. It’s located on Jesmond Road, just down Osborne Avenue and next to Pinetree gym.

I ventured out on a cold wintery evening (before 7pm – so I could afford it) to try ‘Masterchef: The Professionals‘ finalist, Dave Coulson’s restaurant. And I have to say, I wasn’t disappointed.

img_9622

3 courses for £24.95! Just make sure you’re there between 5:30-7pm. This also includes two free appetisers between courses.

img_9625

What’s this? FREE appetisers! This particular one is a fishcake on a pebble. Delightful.

img_9626

Mouthwatering pea and mint macaroon (on dried peas for a little je ne sais quoi).

img_9627

Still part of the appetisers. Prawn cocktail crisp. Not much to say here, a posh skip.

img_9628

Pea and mint macaroon in its full glory. Just fab.

img_9629

Onto the first dish I’m actually paying for. Deconstructed (don’t you watch Masterchef?) raw steak and mushroom pie. I was a bit put off with the raw part of this dish, but it was actually completely delicious and not at all slimy.

img_9630

My boyfriend’s starter. This is a ‘Heritage tomato, Goats Cheese and Aged Balsamic.’ You’re starting to get the idea that every meal will look like a piece of art. This, I am told, was incredible.

img_9632

Here’s where it gets a little strange. This is an ‘All-day breakfast on toast’, in piped blobs. This is your second FREE appetiser or palette cleanser (a what?) I have to say, I couldn’t quite stomach the cold baked bean orange blobs or the black pudding black blobs so I only ate half of this. But 10/10 for creativity.

img_9633

The main! Finally. Having been on this hugely exciting culinary journey I can’t help but feel this is the main event. I have arrived. This is the Pork belly, carrot and creamed potato. And it was epic. I devoured every single mouthful, flavour after flavour that I didn’t even know existed. I even forgot about my wine.

img_9635

Comparison main: Sea trout, chicken pie sauce, sprouting broccoli, smoked eel. Perfectly cooked fish, nothing is on this plate that doesn’t compliment every part of it. Stunning.

img_9638

The grand finale! Chocolate orange and cardamon. I was told this was the chef’s new dish and my god did he deliver. If I presented a first draft of an essay it would leave a lot to be desired. But this was refined but yet indulgent. Chocolate mousse, Chantilly ice-cream, orange and chocolate macaroon (yippee another macaroon!), biscuit crunch. Divine.

At this point I really wanted to start all over again and try everything else on the menu. The overall experience was amazing and I can’t believe this kind of fine dining is affordable on a student budget. If you try one thing this week: try Peace & Loaf.