A guide to today’s Boat Race of the North

Take a brolly

The Boat Race of the North is set to make a big come back after a 5 year sabbatical and is taking over Quayside today!

But who should you put your money on? And where are the best places to watch? The Tab has compiled a complete guide to the day.

Teams will row from under the Tyne Bridge to the Millennium Bridge

What’s happening?

Rowers from Newcastle University Boat Club (NUBC) and Durham University Boat Club (DUBC) will be competing against each other along the Tyne in a series of races on Saturday evening.

Organisers expect to run the races this evening at the following times:

18:15, Novice Women – Taylor Trophy

18:30, Novice Men – Renworth Trophy

18:45, Senior Women – Chambers Trophy

19:00, Senior Men – Clasper Trophy

Presentation of trophies will take place after all racing, along the Quayside.

The Boat Race of the North started in 1997 as the North’s answer to the Oxford Cambridge Boat Race. It ran annually until 2010 but has not been held in recent years due largely to funding issues. Both clubs have worked extremely hard to overcome these problems and have found sponsor NE1 so that this iconic event can be restarted, hopefully for the long run.

Novice Mens and their cox last weekend

Who should my money be on?

Both teams competed in the BUCS regatta last the weekend and performed extremely well across the board.  The Durham senior men were triumphant in the last race in 2010 but a lot has changed in five years and Newcastle are the heavy favourites.

Novice rowers are those in their first year of rowing.

The Tab believes this is your best bet:

Novice Women – Newcastle

Novice Mens – too close to call

Senior Women – Durham

Senior Mens – Newcastle

Novice Women 8 winning silver at BUCS last weekend

Where shall I watch from?

The race course is around 1500m starting at the west of the river at Redheugh Bridge and ending just below the Millennium Bridge.

The best places to watch:

1. Millennium Bridge By far the best vantage point will be over the finishing line. In previous Boat Races it has been packed (probably because it’s next to Pitcher and Piano), and this year it’s expected to be even busier. The views down the Tyne and over the finish will be the best.
  2. Quayside Good vantage point right along the Quayside stretch of the river. Plus it’s lined with Slug and Lettuce and lots of other the bars.
  3. Swing Bridge Right near the action and incredibly close to the water you can cheer on your team from right above them in this excellent location. Added benefit of a nearby spoons – all you’d need is some sun!
  4. The Baltic If you happen to be visiting the museum the viewing gallery in the Baltic is sheltered, warm and incredible views from the Gateshead side of the river.
  5. Gateshead side Down the stretch below the Sage could be a good spot to cheer on.

Is there an after party?!

Hell-to-the-yeah. NUBC have said that once racing is finished and trophies awarded everyone is welcome to the official Boat Race after-party. It’ll all begin at Slug and Lettuce cocktail bar on the quayside.

NUBC practising earlier this year