Tell us your star sign and we’ll guess your Lancs Uni study habits

Are you missing your deadlines because Mercury is in retrograde?

With Michaelmas term well underway, it’s becoming abundantly clear that there are two types of Lancs students: those who use the library for studying and those who go for a good cry in the sound-proof rooms – from experience, it’s are good for both.

Deadlines are coming fast, and work is piling on by the day, so an insight into what your star sign may say about your Lancaster study habits might just be of interest to you.

Capricorn (December 22 – January 19)

If you’re a Cancer, it’s pretty safe to say that you’re well organised, meticulous, and you plan in advance. This means you get a head-start on your assignments. Chances are you looked ahead as soon as you could and managed to get a good schedule down.

You probably spend a healthy amount of time in the library and make sure your notes are never incomplete. A downside to this may be your inability to relax and take a few days off.

Aquarius (January 20 – February 18)

Aquariuses are hard-working but probably not in big groups. You prefer to study alone or with a trusted – and quiet – study partner. Group study rooms and booths are likely booked just for yourself, so you can really make use of the space and time to get some good, honest work done.

After a weekend of mentally preparing yourself for a week of hard work and focus, you hit the ground running on Monday, but that energy quickly fizzles out, and you crash by Wednesday.

Pisces (February 19 – March 20)

Mind maps, bullet points, and essay plans: you’ve probably tried them all. You work hard and make sure everything is done, and chances are, you’re explaining the answer to the rest of the course group chat.

You can’t study in a quiet place all by yourself. You know you’ll get distracted and procrastinate. So you study in a group, make sure you get things down, and book library booths to make sure you have the space.

Aries (March 21 – April 19)

If you’re not at a social, you’re probably catching up on what you missed from the last couple of days. You’re pretty friendly, so even when you get yourself down to the library to get some work done, you get distracted by the person next to you.

Aries students are pretty competitive in most, if not all, fields they compete in. However, when you crash, you crash. Keeping up is hard and getting everything done to your best ability is difficult, so remember to take a break once in a while.

Taurus (April 20 – May 20)

Taurus students are hard-working and organised, never missing a seminar or a lecture. Your work is carefully organised, and library slots are booked at least a few days in advance.

That being said, no university student is perfect, so you might just skip a Friday night study session in exchange for a night out at Sugar, but you’ll definitely catch up and get the work done on Saturday.

Gemini (May 21 – June 20)

Being a Gemini means that you’re naturally curious and attentive. Going to the library probably isn’t pre-planned. You go on a whim because you’re bored and have work to get done.

Your computer probably has 20 different tabs open. Focusing on one thing is hard and tedious. Doing one thing at a time is pretty boring.

Cancer (June 21 – July 22)

You take your time writing your notes, and you’ll start again if they don’t look perfect. Cancers prefer studying alone, and it’s pretty easy to get distracted in big study groups. Sure, they can be fun, but how much work are you honestly going to get done?

You most likely start your assessments a few days after they’re released, and they’re in at least a day or two before the deadline. Being organised makes you happy, so why not beat the rush?

Leo (July 23 – August 22)

Gel pens, highlighters, and lots of folders: you name it, Leos have it. Creativity is key in your studying and is probably pretty present in your life in general.

Notes are always how you intend for them to be, neat and structured. They probably aren’t filed away as meticulously as you’d like them, but they’re pretty okay – I mean, at least you know where they are, right?

Virgo (August 23 – September 22)

Virgos are perfectionists. You take notes throughout the lecture and then some, making sure you do the recommended amount of seminar prep. Most of the work you’re doing outside of in-person teaching time is probably optional.

You work on initiative and make sure everything is done. That doesn’t stop you from taking an occasional couple of days off, but you manage to handle the work afterwards.

Libra (September 23 – October 22)

Libras are on an individual wavelength – a vibe all to themselves. You’ll get the assignment done by the deadline, and you’ll get the seminar/workshop work done by the time it rolls around. You don’t need to get overstressed. What good would it do?

You don’t find it necessary to work in the library, and you can do it from the comfort of your room, where you get a good balance of work and home.

Scorpio (October 23 – November 21)

Leaving assignments to the week before may not be smart, but somehow, Scorpios pull it off and come out with a good grade and a smile on their faces.

You’re probably procrastinating in a booth in the library, thinking about what Costa order you’re going for later.  Somehow, you manage to get everything done, with time to spare to enjoy a calm weekend off.

Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21)

Studying in Costa is probably the best shout for you because the library is far too quiet even with headphones in. You procrastinate to the minute, but you get everything done and still manage a good grade. A dangerous game to play, but you’re practically a champion at it by now.

Mind maps and Pomodoro are good tactics. Sagittarius students might be making mind maps and diagrams one minute and be stood in the queue for Greggs the next – it’s easy to get distracted.

That covers every day of the year and every possible type of student. Being halfway through Michaelmas term is a student’s reality check, and coming to terms with the workload can be difficult. Does this prove the alignment of the stars can impact when we turn our assignments in?