Lancaster University Students’ Union charging students £6 to attend cost of living conference

According to the website, the price is to ‘cover the cost of catering’

Lancaster University Students’ Union is hosting a Cost of Living Conference which students will be charged £6 to attend.

The event, which will run from 10am to 5pm on Thursday 30th May, will bring together representatives from Students’ Unions across the country to talk about how uni students are being affected by rising prices.

According to Lancaster SU website, students will be charged £6 to attend, plus a booking fee, to “cover the cost of catering”.

The event is set to discuss the level of impact that the cost of living crisis is having on students’ education and mental health, as well as plans for where LUSU takes its campaign for better cost of living support for students next.

LUSU described the event, which is taking place at the Management School, as “discussing student hardship and its impact on their attainments and engagement in your course, as well as their wellbeing.

“We will also be using the conference to discuss the next steps in our national campaign to improve the financial circumstances of students.

“This conference is a call to action: We have the research, we know students don’t have enough money, now let’s do something about it!”

This comes on the back of LUSU President Cerys Evans appearing on BBC Question Time when it was filmed at Lancaster University to quiz Fiona Bruce and the panel of politicians about why more was not being done to help students.

Cerys has become the first full time officer to successfully secure a rent freeze on campus, and has continued the Supper Club into this term, which provides free meals to students once a week.

Lancaster University has been contacted for comment.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Featured image via the LUSU website.