Inquest into Cardiff fresher’s death reveals she took ketamine before collapsing
She told her housemates earlier in the night that she had taken the drug
18-year-old Cardiff fresher Megan Politt died last week after taking ketamine and collapsing in the doorway to her Talybont halls, an inquest has heard.
Megan told her friends that she had “taken ketamine” on the night of Saturday 14th November but collapsed hours later and was taken to University Hospital of Wales, where she was said to be in critical condition. She died two days later, on Monday night.
An inquest at Pontypridd Coroner’s Court has confirmed that drug toxicity is one of the factors being looked into as a reason behind Megan’s death.
Coroner’s officer Emma Mathias said: “Megan Pollitt was a student at Cardiff University living in university accommodation.
“She was found by her housemates in the doorway collapsed.
“She was conveyed to University Hospital Wales but passed away on November 16.
“She had earlier told her friends that she had taken ketamine.
Senior Coroner for South Wales Central, Graeme Hughes told ITV Wales: “There is reason to suspect that Megan Pollitt’s death was related to possible drug overdose or toxicity.”
A 23-year-old man has been arrested following Megan’s death and charged with possession and supply of illegal drugs, including ketamine. The man is in custody and will be tried in Cardiff Crown Court in December.
Megan’s family said she was “full of dreams and aspirations” before heading to Cardiff to study Law. Megan, who hails from Rugby in Warwickshire, was described as having a “beautiful bright smile and positive energy that would lift the spirits of anyone.”
“Meg will be missed and forever loved by her Mum and Dad, sister, grandparents and friends.”