Northumbria ups the ante

However still plenty of catching up to do

good universities northumbria sunday times league table

Northumbria University is a high climber of the North East in the recently released in the Sunday Times League Table.

The Guide, which uses a variety of factors ranging from the number of firsts awarded and the drop out rate of the university also takes into account the most current rate of graduate employment, upped the university by 14 places.

The former polytechnic, that made a transition to ‘University’ status in 1992, jumped to 52nd in the 2013 edition but still remains outside the prominent top 50. On the plus side it is the university’s highest ranking since the ranking system came into places.

The Sunday Times also praised the universities investment of £160 million towards campus facilities over previous years as well as new partnerships with Gateshead council and The BALTIC.

It also gave comment to the employment rate of graduates with 90 percent in employment or further study within six months of graduation.

Meanwhile it’s compatriot, Newcastle University, has managed to climb to 17th in the league tables and breached the prestigious top 20 and a graduate employment rate of 93 percent.

The stand out notification, for Newcastle’s older University, came in the form of the statistic that 89 percent of undergraduates happy with their time at the establishment, higher than that of Northumbria, 86%.