Farmers Market goes down a storm

Students seized the opportunity to try something new at the Farmers Market.

The Farmers Market organised by Leicester University’s Enactus Society on campus on Tuesday was just what students needed after the completion of Freshers Fortnight.

The market, which was situated next to the Percy Gee all day, was selling cakes, pies and burgers as well as other foods to excited students.

One stand, run by Oslinc, was selling exotic burgers made from Zebra and Kangaroo for students to take away and consume for lunch. Other meats were available for students to take away and cook at home, they included Crocodile burgers.

OSLINC’s range of exotic meats

The Tab spoke to James Emblin, Victor Rozario, and Laura Harvey about the society and the events they organise. Enactus is a social enterprise group that aims to empower people. They told us the project is “one of four being undertaken by the group this year.”

Kangaroo burger

One of their other projects, Inspire Ethiopia, is a project designed to empower Ethiopians in their communities. The society raises money throughout the year with the aim of sending committee members to Ethiopia to see the effects of their fundraising.

The Enactus team got in touch with local farmers during the recession, with the aim of providing them with a platform to sell their produce. What better way to market and sell locally made produce than to sell it to a potential market of over 15,000 students.

Project Leader Victor told The Tab: “It’s something different to the normal food offered by the Students’ Union and it’s cooked right in front of you. It’s good for the farmers because the rent for Leicester’s market is so much more expensive.”

Enactus are working on organising more farmers markets in the coming weeks and months so if you missed out the wait won’t be long! You can get regular updates from Enactus by following them on Facebook.