New artwork revealed in Cardiff’s city centre to celebrate LGBTQ+ history

The LGBTQ+ flag has been painted on Castle Street

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the first Pride March in the UK which was held in London in 1972. Cardiff Council has recently unveiled artwork on the busy Castle Street which presents the LGBT+ progressive flag to celebrate LGBTQ+ History Month.

The designs are a way “to celebrate and remember the history, lives, and experiences of the LGBTQ+ community in Cardiff”. As well as the original pride flag, the light blue, white and pink colours are shown to represent the transgender community.

The theme for this history month is “Politics In Art” which celebrates individuality and honours the early Gay Rights Movement slogan “the personal is political”.

To show the continuing journey towards full equality, a quote by Dr Martin Luther King Jnr: “The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends towards justice” is this month’s chosen tagline.

According to WalesOnline, Cabinet Member for Finance, Modernisation and Performance, Cllr Chris Weaver, said: “Since February 1, Cardiff Castle has been lit up with rainbow colours to mark the beginning of the LGBTQ+ History Month this year.

“As the theme is art, we wanted to ensure that the new progressive pride designs are as visible as possible to the public, so this is why they have been painted on Castle Street, the main thoroughfare that passes through the city centre.

“Cardiff is a diverse city that is committed to delivering a fair society for all and we are very proud of that. Regardless of race, religious beliefs, disability, sex, sexual orientation, or gender, our services and support are open to all and as a society we have to embrace that people are different and stress the importance of equality and inclusion for all.”