Watch someone from UWE be the best in the world at something

See, we’re not all completely useless

It’s finally happened guys: we’re the best at something.

After years of living in UoB’s shadow and failing to make a dent on the upper reaches of academic league tables, one of our number has risen to the top at last.

His name? Mohamed Elshorbagy. His achievement? Becoming the world number one…at squash.

Yes, that’s right, squash. Everyone’s fifth favourite racquet sport has a new world champion.

Watch the video below to see the dramatic moment (for squash at least) when Mohamed won the the U.S. Open this weekend and claimed the number one ranking.

Mohamed, 23, is originally from Egypt and is studying for an MSc in Finance through the uni’s High Performance Athlete Programme.

After winning the U.S. Open, Mohamed said: “Becoming world number one is such an unbelievable feeling.

Can we put this in the uni trophy cabinet?

“I have been very lucky to have such a great team working behind me at UWE Bristol over the past 5 years; the support I have received has been second-to-none.

“The team of people behind me are the reason why I am able to perform at my best on court.”

So, next time someone from “Uni of” tries to give you a hard time, just remind them how shit they are at squash.