Bristmas Time

Mistletoe, wine and Bristol’s top xmas attractions.

Christmas Steps

1

Caution: Slippery when drunk

Despite the name these are actually here all year

Pleasure rating: Pretty to look at
Pain rating: Avoid when icy

The Christmas Steps were built in September 1669 and paid for by Jonathon Blackwell, a wealthy wine merchant. Thanks to Johnny, there’s no longer a steep, muddy and narrow street left there. Either side of the four flights of steps are Grade II listed buildings dating back to the 1860s that now boast a variety of shops.

German Market

The only acceptable time for a santa hat

This actually moves and sings

Pleasure rating: Incredibly high. All kinds of coffee, hot chocolate    and several alcoholic beverages are up for grabs. You could be as happy as the guy in the back of our photo.
Pain rating: It’s a little painful handing over the £2 cup deposit or personal identification, especially when you forget to hand your cup back.

Especially fun activities:

• Attempt to pronounce all the beverages: Gluhwein anyone?
  • Join the electronic reindeer for a Christmas singalong
  • Pretend to be German

Ice Rink

Pleasure rating: Very high if penguins are your thing, you can use them to help you stay upright.
Pain rating: Falling on your arse and spending time with an instructor seem pretty painful. Also if you have a phobia of ice/falling over/penguins this may not be the one for you.

Santa’s Grotto

Santastic

Pleasure Rating: Upon entering we were greeted by several elves who told us to come back at 4.30pm. The elves were incredibly professional, one even telling us “We are very lucky to catch Santa at this time of year, as he is an incredibly busy man.” Clearly they take their job seriously.
Pain Rating: Bristolian Santa was actually very approachable, and enquired as to what our visit was for. He never asked us what we wanted for Christmas, but he does clock off at 4.30. This is not recommended for anybody who still believes in Santa (sorry kids).