Oarsome! Victory for Oxford in Women’s Boat Race

Scene is set for this weekend’s Men’s Boat Race as Oxford win all four Henley Races

In arctic conditions at Eton Dorney, Oxford’s crews were ice cool as the women took Boat Race glory for the 11th time in 13 years.

With the rowers donning hats and gloves in a bid to keep out Sunday’s bitter chill, the Women’s Boat Race was a keenly-contested affair for the first 1000m.

Cambridge edged ahead after 500m and appeared favourites to secure a second consecutive victory for the first time since 1999.

And no, we did not stop going – winning every Henley Race

But the dark blues were not to be denied, cutting the lead to a third of a length by the 750m mark, and then powering through the gears.

This Oxford crew did not just enter the final 1000m; these women attacked it, sprinting away from their challengers and daring them to match their speed.

Oxford stretched their lead to three-quarters of a length with 250m to go. The Cambridge crew battled on, but our girls managed the race masterfully, and their final furlong was a thing of sporting beauty.

Oxford didn’t just win, they stormed to victory, charging over the finish line with a two length lead.

The girls embrace after Boat Race glory

In an interview with the BBC, the Oxford crew admitted their tactics worked out perfectly.

Amy Varney, the Oxford Five, said: “We never lost sight of the end goal, we trusted ourselves and each other so much. After about 600m, we started to really get moving. As soon as we were level at the 1000m mark, I knew we had this.

“I can’t put into words what it means. It is just the most amazing experience and the most amazing achievement. We have been balancing so much with academic work and work on the water. This is what you can do when you believe in yourself and believe in your team.”

Oxford’s domination extended far beyond the Women’s Boat Race, with victories in both the men’s and women’s lightweight races. Oxford’s reserve crew, Osiris, also came out on top against their Cambridge counterparts, Blondie.

Victory in all four races means an Oxford 4-0 whitewash in the Henley Races for the first time since 2004, and the dark blues picked up the Francombe Cup as Victor Ludorum as a reward for their dominance.

Invincible: Oxford’s Men’s Lightweights get in on the act

Oxford will be hoping to continue the winning streak as the big boys take to the water in next week’s Men’s Boat Race.

The 2013 Men’s Boat Race takes place on Sunday, March 31 at 4.30pm.