A Sunderland student who has ties to Jesmond is wanted by Northumbria Police for murder

£10,000 is being offered to anyone who can provide information on Carr’s whereabouts that aids his arrest

Northumbria Police are looking for a Sunderland student in relation to the murder of a woman.

A murder investigation was launched after the body of 47-year-old Michelle Hanson was found with stab wounds to her neck at a home on Brady Street on December 3rd.

Since then, Northumbria Police have issued a wanted appeal to trace Alexander Carr, a student at Sunderland University, in connection with her death. He is believed by police to be actively evading arrest, Chronicle Live reports.

Carr, 32, is thought to reside in Sunderland but is said to have links to Jesmond and Newcastle City Centre. Northumbria Police are carrying out extensive searches across Northumberland and are calling for people with any information about his whereabouts to come forward.

New CCTV released earlier this week captures Carr as he boarded a bus on Saturday 3rd December showing his distinctive walk. Members of the public are urged not to approach him and to report anything that may suggest someone is camping or sleeping rough in a secluded area.

Via Northumbria Police

Tributes have been made to Michelle by friends and family, including from her daughter, Shannon Brown. She paid tribute and appealed to the public for help: “My mam was a caring, kind and loving person. She would never hurt anyone, even if someone did something to hurt her, she would forgive them because she always saw the good in people.

“It is heartbreaking for us as a family to know we will never see her again. She will be missed by all of us. Her granddaughter turns two in a couple of weeks and it is devastating that she will not get the chance to get to know her nana.

“Our lives will never be the same again. All we want now is justice for our mam. Please, if you have any information which can help the police with their investigation, don’t hesitate to get in touch with them.”

Via Northumbria Police

Students from Sunderland University have been urged to contact Northumbria Police with any information regarding Carr’s current whereabouts and have been advised not to approach Carr.

The University of Sunderland sent an email to all students last week warning them that classmate Carr has been identified as a “key individual” in the murder case.

A spokesperson from Sunderland University said: “Our first concern is always for the wellbeing of our students and staff, so please contact wellbeing services to access support if you have any concerns.”

Police have been spotted all over the city this week urging shops and restaurants to remain vigilant and keep a lookout for Carr, who is still on the run one week after the incident. They have carried out a number of extensive searches at his associated properties, and urge anyone who knows where he is to get in contact.

Chief Superintendent Neil Hutchison, of Northumbria Police, told The Chronicle: “We know that Carr considers himself able to survive outdoors and so we believe he could be taking shelter inside outhouses or unoccupied buildings and so we’d ask anyone with access to empty spaces like these, to ensure they are kept locked and secure. If you do notice any signs of forced entry or suspect someone has been staying there, please get in touch immediately and do not approach Carr yourself”.

Crimestoppers is offering a £10,000 reward for anyone who can provide information on Carr that aids his arrest.

If you have seen Carr, or know any information of his whereabouts, please contact Northumbria Police immediately by calling 999 quoting crime number 143632K/22.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

All pictures via Northumbria Police