Top five places to watch the sunset in Newcastle

How to make the most of it getting dark at 3pm

The first semester is drawing to a close, and this is bad news for everyone. You’ve got more assessments than you can count, you can’t remember the last time it was above two degrees, and its dark all the time. There are few silver linings in the dark cloud that is December in Newcastle, but chief among them is the fact that we are treated to beautiful sunrises and sunsets almost every day! The weather may be miserable, but hey, you’ve gotta take what you can get, right?

If, like the rest of the Newcastle student population, you’ve been feeling the seasonal depression and lack of vitamin D in recent weeks, it may be time to maximise your time in the sun. To help you do so, we’ve compiled a list of the best places in Newcastle to watch the sunset:

ABOVE, The Vermont Hotel

This rooftop bar near the Quayside is a prime location for taking in the Newcastle skyline with a classy cocktail. Situated atop The Vermont Hotel, ABOVE offers 360 degree views of Newcastle Castle and the five bridges alongside live music and DJs performing into the early hours. It’s the perfect place to sit back and relax while taking in some of the best views Newcastle has to offer.

Newcastle Castle

If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, join up with your favourite history student and head down to Newcastle Castle. Full of interesting artifacts and medieval graffiti, you’re sure to get your money’s worth from the £8 student ticket. The castle’s summit sits 30 meters above Central Station, offering grand views of the River Tyne and Gateshead. Catch it on a clear night and Newcastle Castle’s sunset views would be tough to top.

The Quayside

If the arduous climb up dusty medieval stairs in the Castle Keep doesn’t quite tickle your fancy, why not head down to the Quayside itself? Visit the Quayside Markets, play with some cats at CatPawCino, watch the sun set behind the Millennium Bridge, and head off to Spoons. Hard to imagine a better day out in Newcastle than that.

Armstrong Bridge

Another way to combat the seasonal sadness is to spend a bit of time in nature, and what better way to do that than by taking a walk through Jesmond Dene? Enjoy the waterfall and the greenery before climbing the hill up to the Armstrong Bridge to watch the sun set over the park. While you’re there, be sure to pick up some locally produced snacks at the Jesmond Food Market, open on the first and third Saturday of every month.

Town Moor

The Town Moor’s uninterrupted views of Newcastle cannot go unmentioned in this article. Likely the biggest open space in Newcastle, there is absolutely nothing between you and the sky. Grab some blankets and a flask of boozy hot chocolate before climbing Cow Hill and settling down to watch night fall and do some stargazing.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Related articles recommened by this author:

Newcastle SU to stop playing Kanye West’s music in Luther’s following anti-semitism

Opinion: What I think of the strikes as a first-year Newcastle student

•  ‘Ask for a refund’: We spoke to lecturers on the picket lines at Newcastle University