The Newcastle Tab is recruiting – we want you!

Join our team and make a difference

The Newcastle Tab are looking for new writers, photographers and meme-makers to join our team.

We will be holding an open meeting for anyone interested in Luther’s Bar in the Student Union on 29th September @ 6:30pm – no experience is necessary!

Then weekly Monday meetings for all years from 3rd October @ Soho Jesmond (Osbornes) from 6:30pm.

What is The Tab?

The Tab is a site written by students, for students. We cover everything from breaking news stories to fun features – basically, all the stories that matter to students in Newcastle.

The Tab has branches at unis across the country, and The Tab Newcastle boasts over 17k followers on Instagram as well as a whole host of student readers, so is the ideal way to get your work out there.

We are also looking at starting a TikTok account, so if that’s your thing, come along and tell us your ideas.

Recent stories include reporting on Bijoux paying for one student’s tuition fees to NQ64 retro arcade bar opening in the Toon.

Our features include insane reasons students didn’t get their deposits back and festivals in and around Newcastle – there’s something for everyone.

Why should I write for The Tab?

As a writer for The Tab Newcastle, your stories will be seen by thousands of readers across the country, the perfect opportunity for a budding journalist. There’s no pressure to write; you can do as much or as little as you want, with no experience necessary.

Our editorial team will work with you to coach and improve your writing, so there’s no need to worry about a lack of experience. Plus, the team will work alongside an Assistant Editor based at the London HQ, who will provide training and advice that isn’t available elsewhere.

Tab graduates have gone on to work for companies such as Vice, BBC, The Guardian, Vogue, ITV, Buzzfeed, Dazed and many more international media companies – it’s a great addition to any CV.

It’s also a great way to meet new people. We host socials and our weekly meetings are very chilled, we discuss things we’ve seen or heard happen on campus or on a night out. We talk about we have got up to this week as well, while enjoying a well deserved alcoholic (0r non-alcoholic) drink.

How can I get involved?

If you think The Tab is the right thing for you then come along to one of our meetings.

If you can’t make it to our first meeting then do not worry, we host meetings every week at the same time and have a facebook group where we post our commisions and can chat about any breaking news.

If you want to know more or be added to our group chat please DM us on our Insta @thetabnewcastle, or message our editors, @joe.anderson01 and @chesseke. This is perfect if you have any article ideas that you want to pitch or if you would rather write before coming along to a meeting.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to message Chess or Joe!

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.