Trolled by shopping trolley: Metro disruption as trains suspended

A shopping trolley has caused travel disruptions between Four Lane Ends and Tynemouth

As many will have noticed, Metro trains were suspended on Saturday night, causing disruption across the outskirts of the city. Lines were stopped at around 10.30pm between Four Lane Ends and Tynemouth after a shopping trolley was thrown on to the line in an act of criminal damage.

Nexus confirmed the incident as anti-social behaviour on Twitter, announcing that trains would be suspended for the rest of the evening “due to an obstruction of the overhead lines due to criminal damage”.

The disruption also affected hundreds of Newcastle United fans travelling home from the city following the club’s match against Liverpool, as customers were advised to arrange alternative travel. Incidentally they they lost 1-0.

Engineers worked to remove the damaged train overnight. This comes on top of scheduled maintenance over the weekend, with no trains running between Pelaw and South Hylton and a replacement bus service operating.

Further delays are expected across Sunday as lines are needed to be fully inspected before services can resume across this area. A weekday service will operate without the additional peak trains on bank holiday Monday.

We advise those travelling to check for updates on the Nexus website or via Twitter.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.