The Tab’s guide to student friendly summer holidays

No summer holiday plans? It’s not too late!

For most of us, it’s been three years since we stepped foot on international soil and we don’t know about you, but we’re craving a Mythos or seven.

Lucky for us, Newcastle International Airport is right on our doorstep and you can literally get the metro directly there. It couldn’t be easier. Whether it’s somewhere sunny you’re after, or perhaps a student-friendly city break, read on to find some absolute steal deals.

General tips

City breaks are extremely easy to pack for and you can do it all with just hand luggage and with no hassle. All you need is a good pair of jeans, a few causal tops, one nice dinner outfit and some comfy shoes.

If you’re abroad for slightly longer, checked baggage is a must. To be honest, we don’t expect you to need many tips when it comes to cramming everything but the kitchen sink into your suitcase, but here’s two for good measure. Vacuum seal bags will save you the stress of having to sit on your luggage in order to zip it up and using the rolling technique will give you that extra t-shirt amount of space.

Be savvy with who you book with. It’s often cheaper to book direct with airlines to avoid paying service fees but we recommend cross checking between a few sites to ensure you’re getting the best deal. Skyscanner is a good site to scout flights and budget airlines like Wizz and Ryanair are a student’s best friend.

Be wary of the all inclusive. Although you may think you’re getting a bargain, it’s not always the case. Countries like Greece are student friendly when it comes to food and drink and so we wouldn’t recommend staying in your hotel for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Make the most of your trip and eat locally!

Paris

Live out your Emily in Paris fantasies this summer in the city of love, with flights from Newcastle every day. Only an hour and 25 minute flight away, Paris is a global centre for art, fashion, food and culture.

Some must dos are the Arc de Triomphe, The Louvre, an authentic croissant and chocolat chaud breakfast, a train journey to the Gardens of Versailles and the Eiffel Tower, the world’s most visited paid monument. Four to five days in Paris is enough for first time travellers.

Be careful to check which airport you fly to as there are three; Orly and CDG are well connected to the city centre, whilst Paris Beauvais is further north and used by cheaper airlines. You can get flights for around £60 and luggage an additional £80 (but can be cheaper!).

Poland

Flights from Newcastle to Wroclaw run on Wednesdays and Sundays and are SO cheap. You can find flights online from as little as £12 but you’re looking at around £60 for return flights with 10kg luggage allowance.

However, it’s worth playing around with different dates to get the best deal. Still – a huge steal. Wroclaw is known for its Market Square and picturesque townhouses and is somewhere you probably haven’t thought about travelling to before. Poland is rather temperate in the summer, with temperatures resting around 20° C in the summer months.

Prague

One destination growing popular among students and young people is Prague. Also known as ‘Pragooey’ if you’re called Tommy and work at Happy Burger.

This is because it’s one of Europe’s cheapest tourist destinations. We’re talking less than £1.50 for a pint (35 CZK) in the right places. Flights operate between October and April so this one might be a good one to book to look forward to after a (hopefully) hot UK summer. As well as 92p glasses of house wine, Prague boasts fantastic architectural gems and a 1,100 year old skyline.

Flights cost around £100 (£150 inc luggage) and take approximately two hours 15 minutes – but do play around to find it cheaper.

Greece

Newcastle Airport offer flights to Crete, with flights operating on Mondays and Fridays. Crete is very budget friendly so these days work great for an 11 day break. Chania is a quaint and charming little town, with a beautiful little harbour. May temperatures average between 15 and 24 degrees celsius and June temperatures are even warmer. Just in time for assignment hand in too.

Tickets are advertised low at £48 but if you’re wanting to make this an 11 day trip then the prices hike to around £150 without luggage. Many sites like Mytrip offer checked baggage for only £20 extra, so again, check different sites to ensure you get the best deal.

Italy

Flights to Milan run on Wednesdays and Saturdays in peak season, which is perfect for a sunny city break. Prices sit around £30 but again, baggage will probably bring that up to near £100. Still, it’s a price we’d pay for three or four days in Milan.

Although known for its high end restaurants and shops, there are ways to cut your costs in expensive cities like Milan. Booking self-catered accommodation will help you save those pennies, as breakfast and lunch can be eaten or made at your apartment. Big up Airbnb.

Ibiza

We couldn’t not mention Ibiza, perhaps considered the Newcastle of the Balearics. Not only for booze and boogying (although very good for both), Ibiza Old Town hosts street food, architecture, history and the famous Hippy Markets.

There a flights running to Ibiza every single day during summer. Note: Ryanair flights only operate Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Choosing to fly one of these days will undoubtedly be cheaper than TUI but we won’t take the blame for the kid kicking the back of your seat the whole flight. You can’t win them all.

Flights to Ibiza literally cost £16. Excuse me, what??? If you can stuff your swimmers and sunnies into just a rucksack then you’re all set. Otherwise, a 20kg checked bag will cost you £67.74  through BudgetAir (again, check this yourself as prices change daily and between airlines and companies). We don’t need to sell Ibiza to you. It sells itself – see below.

Amsterdam

Flying everyday from Newcastle International Airport, Amsterdam is defo a place to put on your bucket list.

Flight time is around one hour and 10 minutes and with flexible flights, you can tailor this trip around work shifts and assignments. Amsterdam can be done in three or four days but prices may vary daily, so check which days are cheaper to fly. Mytrip are offering flights for around £120 and checked luggage at £30. Don’t forget to visit the Anne Frank House and The Sex Museum.

Overall, Europe is great for city breaks. ‘Newcastleairport.com’ have an extensive range of destinations for you to pick through, many you probably haven’t even considered before.

But remember – flight prices differ depending on the day of travel and with who you book with. As always, it’s worth doing your research to grab the best price.

And finally, as Moses Beacon once said, ‘Happy Flighting!’, and sorry about the Come Fly With Me jokes.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.