All of the best Christmas events happening in Newcastle this year

From Christmas markets to the panto, we’ve got you covered

The older you get, the harder it can feel to get into the Christmas spirit. With deadlines and work none stop, it can take a back seat until you’ve had your turkey and you’re left wondering what exactly you used to get excited about in the first place.

To help you get into the spirit of things, we’ve rounded up all of Newcastle’s best Christmas activities happening this year.

Newcastle Christmas Markets

Newcastle’s official City Centre Christmas Markets will be returning on December 2nd. Although they won’t be as big as they were pre pandemic, there are still over 30 stalls planned to surround Grey’s Monument.

The markets will have a more local focus this year, with a huge range of independent businesses selling crafts, food and unique gifts.

The markets will run for four weeks up until Christmas Eve, giving you plenty of opportunity to grab a mulled wine and get into the Christmas spirit. Plus, it’s totally free (though we doubt you’ll be able to resist the churros!)

Winter Wonderland

Dubbed “Newcastle’s biggest Winter Wonderland”, the Racecourse’s Christmas event is certain to fill you with Xmas cheer.

The event will include ice skating, rollercoasters and fairground rides, plus a Christmas market. There’ll even be a visit from Santa and his reindeer, so there really is something for everyone.

If you’re feeling boozy, there’ll be a giant German bar where you can grab a beer and listen to live music.

Winter Wonderland opens on November 19th and is running until January 2nd. Tickets cost £3.50, or £5 if you want to pay on the day. Ice skating tickets are to be booked separately and cost £9.50 for adults.

The Theatre Royal pantomime

A panto, as cheesy as they are, is a staple of every good Christmas and The Theatre Royal’s is the best in the Toon.

This year, you can join panto legends Danny Adams, Clive Webb and Chris Hayward for “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” X Factor’s Joe McElderry is also in the cast as “The Man in the Mirror”.

The production is running from November 23rd to January 9th. Tickets start at £12.50, but range in price depending on the date and time you want to go.

Newcastle Cat and Dog Shelter Christmas markets

On the 3rd and 4th of December, Newcastle Cat and Dog Shelter are hosting their own Christmas markets. The markets will take place from 4pm-9pm on Friday, and will include a Christmas light switch on. On Saturday, they will be open from 12-6pm, serving up Christmas tipples and delicious food.

Tickets are available now, but you can also pay on the day. Entry is £2 for adults but children and dogs go free.

Centre for Life ice rink

The Centre for Life’s ice rink is back, a staple of any true Geordie’s winter festivities.

It’s open every day until January 9th – booking is advised to avoid dissapointment but they do save some slots for walk ins.

You can even pair the tickets with a trip into the Life Centre, with festive experiments and light shows happening all throughout the Christmas period.

Turn Back Time Christmas Party

The Holiday Inn are Jesmond are hosting the ultimate Christmas party this year. The event involves a three course meal and a DJ, playing festive hits from throughout the decades, from seven until midnight.

The Christmas party will take place on November 27th. Tickets are still available, priced at £32.95 – there are also drinks packages available to take it to the next level.

Slade at the O2

Christmas legends Slade are coming to Newcastle! You can catch them at the O2 on December 23rd and we can’t think of anything that could make you feel more christmassy.

Tickets are still available at just under £30 but you’ll have to be quick – we don’t imagine they’ll last long.

X-mas X-travaganza ‘Shantay, You Sleigh’

The biggest Christmas drag show in Newcastle, X-mas X-travaganza is taking the O2 City Hall on December 19th.

Hosted by Baga Chips and The Vivienne and including more stars from Drag Race US,UK and Canada, this is unmissable for any drag fan and would make the perfect early Christmas gift.

Tickets are priced at £30.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.