Five Jesmond coffee shops that every student needs to know about

A coffee is more than just a drink to Jesmond’s students – it’s also a hangover cure, staple of the uni diet and the only way to get through 9ams

With Jesmond being the student hotspot of Newcastle, it’s vital to know where the best places to visit are.

Whether you’re a vanilla latte drinker or a black filter coffee there’s something for every coffee lover.

After trying the most popular coffee shops in Jesmond, I’m here to tell you which ones are worth your money.

Starbucks

Starting off with a firm favourite, Starbucks is probably the most popular coffee shop in Jesmond. Located just beside Tesco makes it easy for students to pop in and grab a coffee on their way to a 9am lecture.

The menu is huge, so there is always something for everyone (even your friends who don’t like coffee). I went for my classic order – a latte- and was not disappointed.

Rating: 10/10

Dot Bagel

This new (ish) place for a cuppa is located on Acorn Road, so chances are you’ll see someone you know when you’re picking it up. Here, I tried a flat white, purely because it was free this day. Dot often have offers with their coffee so keep an eye out on their Instagram.

They also have a deal before 11am – a coffee and a bagel with spread is only £4.75, the perfect breakfast before a day in the library. I couldn’t fault the coffee here, and the experience was great, with friendly servers. The only fault here is that it’s always busy, so this isn’t the best option when you’re in a rush.

Rating: 9/10

Café Nero

Without being too biased, I love Café Nero. The Osborne Road coffee shop is the perfect people watching spot and nothing brings me joy quite like sitting in the outside area with a group of pals watching the people pass and drinking a coffee.

I always get a latte when I visit, and they always go down a treat. Another thing I love is that students get 10% off if you download the app and use your uni email. Plus, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays O2 customers get a free drink- perfect for when your loan is running out.

Rating: 10/10

Café 1901

Being another popular place in Jesmond, I knew I had to include this. I love the vibe and rustic décor in here which makes the experience so good – perfect for a cheeky Insta pic.

I once again got a latte, but this one was quite bitter. After adding a sugar, it was on par with the others. The food and cakes here are amazing which makes you spend money, even when your bank balance says you shouldn’t.

Rating: 8/10

Cake Stories

Cake Stories is in West Jesmond, so was a place I visited a lot when I lived there. The coffee here is also delish, and the staff are so friendly which I feel makes it even better.

Despite this, avoid going between three and four pm as there’s never any tables because the school students go. Also, don’t visit if it’s just a coffee you want because the chances are you won’t be able to resist the cakes. If your self-control is as weak as mine, I recommend the salted caramel brownie.

Rating: 9/10

I’m not sure if the findings show that I’m easy to please or if all the coffee in Jesmond is good. Either way, when you’re struggling to get the next assignments done in time- remember you’re never far away from your caffeine fix

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.