Image may contain: Head, Word, Face, Human, Person, Advertisement, Collage, Poster

Newcastle University Men’s Hockey Club suspended from all club activities for eight weeks

It was a result of one member using a racial slur

Four weeks ago, a video was posted on a student's Instagram story of a Newcastle hockey player using racial and homophobic slurs while chanting at a pres.

As a result, the whole club has been suspended from "all club activities" until 13th January.

The 1st and 2nd teams have a longer ban which will last until 30th January.

Newcastle Uni students were emailed with the result of the hearing.

Image may contain: Paper, Document, Word, Page, Label, Text

The statement notes how the Men's Hockey Club has been, "suspended from all club activities for the period 9th December until 13th of January".

The eight week ban which has now commenced puts a halt to any pre-season training for second semester.

Further to this, Newcastle University and Newcastle University Students' Union have added that in order for the ban to be lifted "all members must attend equality, diversity and inclusion training", "submit an Earn Your Stripes application", and "submit a Welfare Pledge Card".

A one year probation has been placed on the team whereby any re-offences of similar disturbances will result in an "immediate raised level disciplinary including the replacement of the club committee".