Students stage week of protests over Ferguson shooting

FemSoc heads are demonstrating in solidarity with Ferguson

Newcastle students have been staging a week of protests in solidarity with Ferguson after the death of Michael Brown.

Members of FemSoc protested on Tuesday with placards before staging a lie down protest yesterday.

The demos come after the news that Darren Wilson will not be charged for shooting unarmed teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

FemSoc secretary Jess Poyner and Femsoc member Safiya Robinson decided to form the Ferguson Solidarity Committee to organise events before the end of term.

The first order of business was to embark on a week of activism to support the protesters in Ferguson and “to make a stand against racism in Newcastle.”

The first big event “Hands Up, Don’t Shoot” exhibited placards with statements such as “Mike Brown was unarmed’ and chanted most of the afternoon causing onlookers to stop and take note of the protest.

Lucy Morgan of Newcastle FemSoc said: “True feminism is intersectional, all oppressions are linked someway or another. We protested to show solidarity and to make a stance against racism.’

Courtesy of Craig Dingwall