Leicester fresher suffers minor stroke after downing a pint of vodka

He did it all for ‘Lad Points’

Every fresher has a stupid or embarrassing story that is purposefully left out of the ‘What happened in Freshers week’ Skype catch-up with mum and dad. But for Leicester fresher Jack, that story wasn’t quite as normal. In fact, Jack ended up in A&E, after downing a pint of vodka and suffering from a minor stroke.

So Jack, what actually happened that night?

As you’d expect I’m pretty hazy on most of the details. I remember being told to down a pint of Vodka for some ‘Lad Points’, which someone still has a video of somewhere I think. From there, I rely mainly on what I’ve been told. I had a few more bevs, and was just running around the place. Next thing I know I was being woken up the morning after with the bathroom door hitting me in the head because I’d fallen asleep against it.

Once in bed, this also happened…

What happened when you were found?

Well, one of my flat mates, Lucia, who was getting up for Uni found me naked, apart from my trainers and Uni lanyard, asleep in the bathroom. Her and one of the other lads managed to get me into bed and just left me thinking I was hungover. Even later that afternoon when one of them came home from Uni, they checked me and I was just in the same position I had been left in, no one thought anything of it.

When did you realise something wasn’t right?

It wasn’t until I went to dinner the next day and the right hand side of my body just wasn’t really working that we knew something wasn’t quite right, but thought it was just because I had been lay down all day or something. Later that evening some of the girls in my block took me to A & E.

More than just fresher’s flu

What happened in A & E?

Funnily enough, doctors don’t think downing a pint of Vodka for Lad Points is too funny, and because by this point I didn’t think it would be that serious I just brushed it off. It wasn’t until they kept me in over night and ran some tests that it got serious, when they said it was either a minor stroke or nerve damage that’s when it hit me.

How long did you stay in hospital for?

They kept me in there for the day trying to figure out what actually happened, but couldn’t figure out what was wrong. That’s scary, when even a Doctor can’t tell whether you’ve damaged your nerves or suffered a stroke in the night.

What happened once you left hospital?

Once I went back to halls I took it quite easy for a few days. I couldn’t move my right hand properly for about a week or two, which made wiping my ass a nightmare. I haven’t drank that much since it, I have a few beers, but no way am I going near Vodka anytime soon.

Obligatory A&E selfie

Finally, how are you doing now? Have you toned the partying down?

Yeah, it stopped me drinking stupid amounts for dares. I still do stupid stuff, a few weeks before, I jumped out the top floor of our block and really fucked my ankle up. I’m not at Uni anymore and I don’t drink as much as I used to, so at least I learnt something from the experience.