Tab Tries: Pub Golf…in your house

Pub Golf is a popular social theme for clubs and societies up and down the country, but what happens when you try and play in your own home?

It’s an interesting concept and one that definitely needs refinement.

But Room Golf has the potential to catch on so The Tab couldn’t pass up the opportunity to attend the inaugural event of the Professional Room Golf Association 2013 series, held at the prestigious Casa del BNOC course.

The event had been shrouded in mystery since the scant details were published in a Facebook event. All we knew is that there was no room for spectators at the event.

If you attended, you played.

This message was followed by : “Water is available at every hole…if you like wearing it.” Penalty drinks were to be taken if infringements occurred for example, using the toilet before hole 5. In actual fact the requirement of downing your drink is almost secondary to the, quite frankly, odd experience of doing a bar crawl in your house.

Players were invited for a welcome drink before play began at the first hole. The welcome drink represented the calm before the storm that would rage on for the next 3 or 4 hours, the effects of which would be felt for several days afterwards.

Vodka makes you do funny things

The Vodka minefield

It’s pretty daunting. 80 shots arranged on a table; some are water, some are vodka…one is Ouzo. When there are nine other players the amount of time you get to rid yourself of the horrific taste of Red Square is just about long enough. You might think you’re lucky to pick three water shots in a row, but the penalty for such an act is of course, more vodka.

What happens after 9 shots…

Why is this so drinkable?

Moving swiftly on from the tastebud destroying events of the first hole, players moved upstairs where they were greeted with a nice refreshing glass of Liquid Cocaine. Don’t worry it’s not actually cocaine, it’s constituents are Cider, Vodka, Lemonade and Orange juice. It tastes remarkably nice, given a single glass is filled with over 5 units of alcohol. It even comes in a delightful shade of yellow…

If vodka made people do funny things, Liquid Cocaine appears to make people want to scale the walls like a super-spy..

We don’t know why this happened…

The penalty for peeing

It was after only the second hole that some of the players had to spend a penny. Naturally, there was a penalty because players hadn’t reached the fifth hole. Players caught breaking this rule were forced to pour a glass of water over themselves whilst standing in the bath, not ideal for them. Fortunately The Tab managed to avoid such a penalty.

I’m drinking Rum and a highly dangerous alternative energy drink…

Rum and a heart palpitating alternative

After ‘urinegate’, players moved on to drink Rum and Red Bull. The only downside is Red Bull is expensive, as a result an alternative had to be used. X filled the bull shaped void. It created a disgusting green brew, only worthy of consumption by the Hulk.

As the night wore on it became increasingly difficult to document the actions of the event. Though one player did say that “it was one of the best nights I’ve ever had, it was such a good idea.” It’s not clear what the end of the night was actually like but we think that this photo is a good representation…